PSU Question

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by dannnyjos, Jun 4, 2004.

1. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Hi:

I've been having problems with a computer I have at home. It frequently turns off on me. At first, I tought it was the CPU overheating, but a lot of times it shuts off 2 or 3 minutes right after boot up, so, I don't think it's an over heating issue. Next, I reinstalled the OS to see if the problem would go away, but nothing. So, I'm starting to think that the problem is the PSU. It's a 350 W power supply, but don't remember the brand right now. I just wanted to consult with you guys before I went ahead and spent some on a new PSU. I'm not completely sure it is, because I've been noticing that the PC shuts down usually when I'm online. Could it possibly have something to do with the modem?

Please, any help will be appreciated, this is driving me nuts. :eek:

Specs:
    Intel 1.6 Ghz
    MSI motherboard
    512 RAM
    Nvidia TNT Model 64
    60 Gig Western Digital 7200
    Win XP Pro

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

From experience I'd guess that it's either a grounding problem or a PSU problem (or both). You could always replace your PSU with a 550watt Okia ($25) or Lead ($30) power supply, which are each inexpensive and pretty reliable. Or, if you have the dough, Enermax or Antec are very high-end, reliable PSUs. If that doesn't fix you're problem, it's almost certainly a grounding problem. Could be the way your chassis is mounted to your motherboard. It could be that your chassis doesn't have rubber feet and is resting on a carpet, or any number of things.

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

To avoid grounding issues, you can glue washers to the mounting holes of the case. That way, your motherboard never touches the case itself.
    You can use Krazy Glue to do that.

I remember a malaka told me I was a ******* idiot to do this because I might glue the board to the case.

Well it's impossible because Krazy Glue dries so fast that even He-Man (The master of the Universe) wouldn't be fast enough to glue every washer in time and put the motherboard in the case before the glue dries.
    Bottom line is: use your head and you'll be fine.

P.S. He-Man is a cartoon I watched when I was like 6. I'm now 22 and don't watch these things anymore....Transformers were good too !

4. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Thanks for replaying guys.

Yeah, I think it's either grounding or the Power Supply. I'll buy a 400W tomorrow to see if that solves it. I'll let you know on Monday if that took care of the problem. See you :good:

5. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Yeah, He-man. I remember him from the late 80's. I also remember the transformers as well as the Thundercats. Old good times :cool:

6. Spyhunter83

Spyhunter83 Geek Trainee

7. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Thanks for the link Hunter; very useful. Yep, the PSU was the culprit here. :chk: