PSX and PS2 emulator

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by talker1106, Oct 10, 2006.

1. talker1106

talker1106 Geek Trainee

Does anyone know where to get a quality PSX or PS2 emulator and where to download roms for it. My friend said its hard to find both the emulator and working roms for that console in specific, but ive goten them working for N64 and other console emulators so im not new to this subject.

2. viper

viper Geek

As apose to PSX emulator then you should try this one, its supposed to be the best one around. I used it myself but there aren't that many games you can get with it.

Welcome to the official ePSXe website

This is the best site for PSX roms.
    <snip> - megamaced

But PS2 emulators are a big problem, most of them have viruses and if you do get one that works i'm guessing you won't find many games to use with it, i would stay away from the PS2 personally.

3. zimcerullo

zimcerullo Geek Trainee

I agree with viper on this one. I have the ePSXe and it works great, bit fiddly in finding all the sound and video things but after that it works great.

Ive also heard the ps2 emulators are full of viruses but when I did find one that wasnt it was near impossable to find a game for it.

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

There basically aren't any PS2 emu's that will work well. Viruses aside they generally are dead slow, support no games, usually just demos, and often have no sound support. Granted they'll gradually improve but it'll be a while.

5. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Please do not post links to ROM sites. Links to emulators are OK though.

ePSXe is probably the best PSX emulator for Windows. PCSX is the best on Linux.

PS2 emulation is still in it's infancy. Very few games are playable to any acceptable standard

6. talker1106

talker1106 Geek Trainee

thanks for the support, ill kepp you replies in mind

7. viper

viper Geek

Ok, sorry forgot about that.

8. ZeroKool

ZeroKool Geek Trainee

Sounds like the ps2 is a bit harder to emu? Is it do to the copy protection and hardware?

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah I could see both, never games are likely a real pain to get in downloadable form in which people can use them with emu's. However actually getting decent performance is as much of a problem. I'm not aware of any emu's that can run a PS2 game at a decent clip.

10. edijs

edijs Programmer

I can also suggest andriPSX.

Note: I'd suggest to go and try out several emulators for one game, because the same game might run perfectly on one and be a buggy thing on another. As an example - Vigilante 8 freezes on me in ePSXe after a while of playing, but andriPSX handles it pretty well.