Pure Computer Hatred

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by aeion, Jan 13, 2004.

1. aeion

aeion Geek Trainee

'v got a problem with two systems now and i believe its permanent... however, i could use any insight on any ideas on how this could have happened or even (doubtfully tho) if it can be fixed.

Here is the situation:

I've got two computer now that i believe have bad motherboards because of the videocard (whether this is even possible i do not know)

In system 1 i was running:
    AthlonXP 2100+
    Abit-KD7-RAID
    512Mbs 333mhz DDR Crucial (brand) ram
    ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (Previously Geforce something, without problems)
    450W PSU

After I installed the Radeon, I started having heat problems ( System temp as reported by winbond of 55-60°C)
    My solution to this was probably a mistake but it worked. I took a 2ft x 2ft house fan and placed it next to the open side, blowing outwards. For several months this worked, but still occasionaly crashed during a few game tests. Then i lost video in an attempt to cool the processor by "underclocking it to 1500+ using bios (can "underclocking hurt anything"). My conclusion was that either the processor or the motherboard was damaged. I Finaly put the other systems 1500+ into this system and it ran extremely hot under low system load 70°C and up as reported by bios so i turned it off immediately and haven't turned it on since....

Then i took the processor and put it in my Abit A7V-266
    this system had no problems at all even after i put the 2100+ from the previous system into it

so that convinced me that it was most likely not a processor problem (it seemed to run @ about 45°C (Core processor temp)in the new system)

a few days of running it like this go by
    then i decide to put my radeon into the new system and hook up dual monitors. About 24 hours go by and i am trying to put new hard drives in the comp, but i seem to be having power issues because of a massive ammount of power splitters due to fans and one from the radeon. So I figured out that you can't run devices with 2 spliters in one cable (which i had hypothesised but i tried anyway, aftera ll i didn't have much choice) so then i unplugged the two fans that needed splitting and just plugged in the radeon splitter. a few reboots later bios won't even get to the part where it auto detects the IDE channels, the DELL key will not get me into bios either.

any suggestions, critisizms?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Reinstall the CPU heatsink after cleaning it and the CPU off with some isopropyl alcohol. Then put a thin layer of Arctic Silver on the CPU core. The CPU temp will go up, but you're in bad territory at 70. If you're just using the stock cooler, you might consider buying something better, like something from ThermalRight (the SK-7 is a low-cost, high-performance unit) or something.