[Quick!] Need network adapter advice

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by thora, Mar 13, 2012.

1. thora

thora Geek Trainee

Long, long story short, my Windows7 hasn't been able to connect to the internet since December. I've been working with several tech gurus, but so far no one can figure out the problem. Essentially Windows acts like my computer does not have a network adapter. I've done a parallel installation of Ubuntu, which connects to the internet without a problem, and as far as Ubuntu can detect, my computer's fit as, frankly, a well-oiled machine.

Despite this being a new machine (slightly over a year old, but unfortunately my store warranty expired seven months ago), I've gotten frustrated to the point where I'd like to try putting in a new network adapter. My problem is that I don't really know what I'm looking for. I've found this one on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033 It sounds good to me, but like I said, while I know a thing or two about computers, I don't really follow the netoworking tongue. There's a discount on that adapter that ends tomorrow (3/14), so I'd like some quick feedback if possible!

Thanks!

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

This network adapter looks just fine, but you do need to make sure that your motherboard has a free PCI-Express (not PCI) available.

3. thora

thora Geek Trainee

Thank you; I wouldn't have even thought of double-checking that first. =)

4. thora

thora Geek Trainee

The specs from my computer manufacturer says I have the following available for add-in-card slots:
    One PCI Express® x 16 slot,
    Two PCI Express® x 1 slots,
    One PCI™ slot

5. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

The card is a PCI Express x1, so that should be fine (as long as one of them is not being used on your motherboard).