Reccomend good cooling for athlon64 3000+ venice core

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by sniperfox, Aug 10, 2005.

1. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

The Venice 3000 should hit 2.7 with adiquate cooling and ram.
    Looking into some DDR400 OCz Performance series, the prices are often pertty low for what you get, great stuff.

3. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

they look pretty good! :D
    150 usd isnt that bad either, cuase like i have said a few times before, i can get it cheaper due to my fathers buisness, and i get wholesale prices. (which is why i got the venice for about 160, tax included) :D

and dont worry, im already prepared to overclock. i bought a very well ventelated case yesterday, with 3 casefans (aside from the mb ones), not to mention the fan i mentioned in a previous post. getting that AS5 stuff too! :D

4. ninja fetus

but still, your processor may not even hit 2.0ghz.

5. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

1 thing though..
    how do i know if its compatible with my mother board?
    im getting an asus a8n-e, but i cant find that on the asus website anywhere :(
    i dont know what to look for, sucks being a noob :(

6. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

nice man enjoy your new rig

sniperfox likes this.
  7. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

but if i got that ram, it would?

8. ninja fetus

heat isn't the only issue with a processor and overclocking. Some processor just won't run at higher click speeds. Like I've got a athlon 1.0 system that will do 1.2, but not 1.3 when changing multipliers. It just won't run that fast, heat's no problem.

9. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

but.. isnt the venice made for overclocking to high speeds>?
    exfoliate, where are you? :(

i thought you could get up to 2.8 ghz with adiquate ram, like he said (and many other people) :(

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I don't know anyone who's had problems overclocking their Venice 3000+ so at the very worst you should get 2.4GHz. I won't swear on my dead goldfishes name but I see no reason why you couldn't hit 2.7.

sniperfox likes this.
  11. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

:D
    goodie.
    all the people i've talked to sayd they hit 2.8 easy, without a super duper fan. even the salesguy on the phone told me he did with his. :)

so, if im trying to see if my mobo is compatible with the ram that fetus mentioned, what would i look for? like i said, the mobo is not on the official asus website (wierd), but im sure i can find the specs somewhere else.
    how do i know if its compatible? :p someone please help :( i only have about 24 hours to change my order

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

By the way you don't need PC6000 to get a great overclock. Most of the people who have Venice chips were using PC3200 anyway. Though ninja linked up some incredable deals for the speed the G-skillls latency is so high you should really concider something else. PC6000 will not run on AMD motherboards anyway. You'll have to manually underclock it. AMD's Rev. E chips, like your 3000+, support up to DDR500 (PC4000). However in your price range you can't afford some good PC4000, I know of some great ram but it's way too pricey.
    This stuff should give you a great overclock without breaking the bank. OCz is a big brand so it should work fine with your motherboard. I would only bother checking if for some reason you're getting an obscure brand.

13. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

when you say "this stuff".... do you mean the OCZ brand, or the one that ninja reccomended?

14. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

Ugh, i dunno if thats compatible.
    my mobo says it has DDR400/333/266, and thats ddr600 or something :p

15. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

the venice secretly can harness up to ddr600 i believe, but its risky

id recommend to stick to good ol ddr400

16. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

woo, thanks :)
    i was just about to say "screw it" and order it. i dont wanna risk anything.

i dont know ANYTHING at all about ram. I thought those ocz's i mentioned before were great for overclocking.. aparently not, though. :(
    anyone.. please!! cheap, overclockable reccomendations? i only have a few hours left till the order is solidified :(

17. ninja fetus

18. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

id check out these sites

www.corsair.com
    www.ocz.com
    www.kingston.com

and look for some full compatible ddr400 by picking out your mobo in their RAM guides, these are all well known lines. just make sure its dual channel too, which means two sticks lol

other ram will work but hey you can never be too safe :good:

19. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

well what WILL get me near 2.8 :D im still thinking about the first one you mentioned, but if i could go a little cheaper, without the loss of overclocking power, i'd be rockin

20. ninja fetus

ddr 600 will, because you'll need to hit 662mhz fsb to hit 2.8ghz. That's overclocking ddr 600.

Maybe you'll just be better off with OCZ gold, and loosening the timings quite a bit to get that far.