Registry explanation

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Tech, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Tech

Tech Padawan

Hi all

Can somebody please give me a resonably straight forward explanation of what
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is associated with in the Registry. I've read a couple of explanations but unfortunatley none have given me that lightning bolt moment of clarity.

:confused:

2. X slash X

X slash X Geek Trainee

I Think It's For File Extensions:dry:

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT: File extensions
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER: Settings for the current user only
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE: Settings for the whole Windows installation
    HKEY_USERS: ?
    HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG: Hardware configurations inside Windows

Hope this helps :)

4. Tech

Tech Padawan

Thanks to both RHochstenbach and x slash x for trying but i'm looking for something a little more explanitory, for example, I know that it defines the standard "class objects" for windows and that class objects are groups of functions that define what you do with the object they represent but what this means in real, physical, sat at the computer terms is a bit of a mistery to me. I guess i'm just looking for an exmple that can help me grasp it.

5. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

An example: A text file has the extension .txt. This is stored in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. There is the key .txt. Inside that key is the location of the program to open (in this case notepad.exe). Also the icon of .txt files is stored there. And all known file types are stored there, including the information about what program needs to open that type of file.

6. X slash X

X slash X Geek Trainee

Windows Needs To Know What Files Are Associated With What Program, The HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT Does Just That. :)

7. Tech

Tech Padawan

Thanks for the answers guys. It seems quite simple but the way some people tried to explain it was just baffling :confused: