Rekindling the fires...

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Exfoliate, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Well it's been a little while since we've head a Longhorn promotion so here's what they're saying to gather up the hype again.

"Speaking at the Professional Developers Conference (PDC) in Los Angeles, California, that year, Gates equated Longhorn with Windows 95, calling Longhorn Microsoft's biggest release of the decade. He unveiled three systems he believed would grant Longhorn that status: the WinFS storage subsystem - christened Longhorn's "Holy Grail" by Gates - the WinFX mark-up architecture and Avalon XML interface, and the Indigo web services communications layer."

"...improvements to make sure Windows "really just works" without complexity and hassle, and updates to both home and mobile computing. Ballmer claimed Longhorn would take 70 per cent fewer reboots than previous versions of Windows."
    70% eh? What will that be, 3 per day instead of 10? Actually I only have to reboot about once a week or so, though things do freeze up a whole lot.

the rest

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I'm looking forward to getting me a copy.

Who knows, maybe microsoft really have ironed out all the creases and squashed all the bugs...

3. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Yeh Im looking forward to its release too

4. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

u kno u can get its features now, but you get a lame grid as a background, i jus can't wait to play around with it, drag and drop things in the horizon make them closer n junk, its gonna be like a toy. viva la longhorn

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Microsoft's method of stealing ideas and calling itself an innovator continues. Have you guys ever heard of Sun Microsystem's Project Looking Glass? Yeah, it seems much of what Avalon can do is a balatant rip-off. And a lot of its "new, enhanced features" are simply copied from KDE, Gnome, and OS-X. For instance, the ability to see an icon as a preview of the contents of a file? That's been a standard feature of KDE for years. I would respect MS a lot more if they actually innovated anything instead of stealing other people's ideas and calling it original. Man, I gotta go hit something.

-AT

6. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

stealing things calling them innovative and new is the american way, or has come to be.

7. Addis

Addis The King

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources. Nevertheless I will give this new version a go, (when I can get my hands on it) and seen as its probably going to get implemented anyway might as well take it for a test drive. See what it can do.

8. ninja fetus

Yup. I reboot every night before I leave my computer downloading stuff just to clear everything, save some stuff and make sure windows doesn't crap on me during the night :rolleyes:

Under linux though...rebooting doesn't do squat. Your performance stays the same.

9. Anti-Trend

Yeah, you're right. On all my Linux systems, they've been up continually since the last time I compiled their kernels. Uptime isn't a super-huge deal on workstations, although constantly rebooting is annoying. But on servers, it's a BFD.

10. ninja fetus

also I notice a drop in temperatures from linux vs. windows. LOL!

11. Anti-Trend

We're getting way off topic Fetus, since this is a thread about Longhorn. But the reason that the temps are different is that Linux sends 'Idle' commands to the CPU instead of null data when there isn't anythting for the CPU to do, which lowers the voltage of the CPU. However, all versions of NT are supposed to do this as well. I think the biggest heat factor is that Windows (all versions) uses virtual memory like crazy, no matter how much RAM you have. This causes the hard drive to spool constantly, which is bad for your HDD and bad for temps. It's also bad for laptop batteries. :( I'll be happy if this stupid design flaw is fixed in Longhorn. Why should your system swap like mad when you're listening to a CD, watching a DVD, etc? It always drove me crazy when I was a Windows user, and it's really hard on the HDDs of the Windows PCs I administrate. Who knows how much life is stolen from HDDs by this stupid behavior.

12. ninja fetus

heh sorry about off topic posts.

I'm sure I including everyone I know will atleast try out longhorn. Your right with page filing, I don't think my hdd light has turned off for...almost a day now. (windows+torrents)

If they fix page filing, now there's just security, stability, and price to watch out for.

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Longhorn seems to be getting less and less grandiose as the release gets nearer. I guess MS was a little too ambitious.

I felt something was a little ominous about the comparison of Longhorn to Win95--despite the comments.

14. Anti-Trend

From the early reviews and screenshots I've seen of Longhorn, it looks like it could very well be another ME more than another '95.

Of course, I was an official beta tester for XP, and I thought it was the buggiest piece of crap ever to putrify my HDD. Even the last publicly released beta was dog doo, it would crash hard and often and had myriads of irritating minor glitches too. But when it was released to the public I could hardly believe how many huge bugs were fixed at the last second. On the other hand, it still has many bugs that were well known since the early betas, and it's still less stable than Windows 2000 or even NT4.

15. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

16. Anti-Trend

Actually, MS is saying that WinFS will not ship with Longhorn. Longhorn and XP users will be able to utilize it later on with an optional download. Actually, WinFS sounds a lot like the existing Reiser filesystem, which I use myself. It's a self-maintenancing, contigeous, journalizing filesystem which is fast and can take a lot of abuse. I'm interested to see how WinFS will stack up. :)

17. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

its gonna be sum good competition si.
    but still its gonna be fun just to play around with it and the 3D desktop, i just hope that its as easy to hack as the other systems to boost system performance or otherwise all my magazines have to go to the garbage :(

18. Anti-Trend

Well, it is a Microsoft product... OH, you meant to improve performance! Geez, what was *I* thinking? ;)