Remote Desktop Into Client on Network

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Ravanol, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Ravanol

Ravanol Geek Trainee

Hi,

Is it possible to use Remote Desktop to access a client machine on a network... or does Remote Desktop only access a server machine with a fixed IP address?

I guess it is possble to use Remote Desktop to access a server, and then run Remote Desktop on the server to access a client machine? Is there a more direct way of doing this?

Cheers.

2. afidelino

afidelino Geek Trainee

what platform you are connecting??? win xp or win 2k... and also are you trying to connect within the network or remotely??? Are u using a router??

3. Addis

Addis The King

With 2k's and XPs remote desktop software, I think you can access any terminal providing you have the right priveleges. Not too good on this.
    I think you can also access terminals without a fixed IP like a DHCP client.

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

I'm on my computer now (my personal computer), if i want to remote desktop to my wireless linux file server in my garage i have to run a "Listen Server", this is a piece of Remote Desktop software that "listens" for people trying to make a "remote desktop" connection.

I recommend RealVNC (it's free/very secure - especially if you use a firewall), and you can set passwords, user privelages you can even specify that only "certain" IP's can connect to your computer.

Its also cross platform compatible meaning that you can run it on Unix/Linux or Windows, when you install it, you then have certain software:

"RealVNC Viewer" - this is for viewing someone else's computer or:
    "RealVNC Server" - this is software that "listens" for someone using the "Viewer" to connect to your computer (ie it allows someone to remote desktop to Your computer (or the computer running this software) )