[review] Kingdian S400 120gb Ssd

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Bill K, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Bill K

Bill K Geek Trainee

The KingDian S400 120GB SSD has been proven to be an excellent storage device, considering its budget pricing.I purchased the SSD over KingDian's official AliExpress store:
    https://kingdianssd.aliexpress.com/store/2033033?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.wmONKd

[​IMG]

The case of the SSD is aluminum which helps with heat desipation, while its matte coloring gives it a
    minimal look that should match with most people's systems.
    Of course, the appearence of a product has nothing to do with the actual performance, so let's get to the
    benchmarking part.

I have been a linux user for near a decate and due the absense of a Windows installation on my PC I didn't
    bother using any of the popular Windows storage benchmarks (CrystalDiskMark).
    Instead, I used some linux utilities which have also been proven to be accurate: hdparm, dd and bonnie++.
    As a note, my system consists of an Intel i5-4460, 8GB dual-channel memory and runs on Debian testing.

Hdparm was used to measure the read speed of the SSD.
    I run the test three times in order to verify the numbers and as you can see below, the results
    were very consistent.
    The read speed achived was around 520MB/s, while the cached read was around the 11000 MB/s.
    You may ignore the cached read, as it is greatly dependant to the system's specifications.

[​IMG]

Next, dd was used to test the write performance of the disk.
    In order to ensure that correct results were returned, I turned off write-caching on the device
    and also run the tests 3 times.
    All of the tests return a consistent 220MB/s of write speed.

[​IMG]

Lastly, I run the standard bonnie++ benchmark which shows the IO capabilites of the SSD under
    Sequential and Random scenarios.
    The results are more understandable on the second picture, unless you are already familiar with bonnie++'s
    output.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall, the SSD has a great overall performance and its ~ $50 pricing is unbeatable.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017