Router In Access Point Mode

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by rudy, Dec 29, 2008.

1. rudy

rudy Geek Trainee

Ok, first off I would be really grateful if anyone would be able to answer my question. Basically I need help changing my old router into an access point to use for my xbox upstairs. I already have a working wireless network in my house. I know the old router I want to change to an access point is capable of doing this, because it describes how to do it in the manual, but I don't exactly follow. The wireless router I have broadcasting the wifi is a netgear WGR614 and the old router I want to turn into an access point is a dlink wbr-2310. I know how to access the online config for both routers, and as far as I know I have to enter an available ip and subnet onto the access point router or something like that. Please help a newbie out.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rudy

2. isayso316

isayso316 Geek Trainee

Plug a single computer to the second Router (make sure that the computer is configured to obtain DHCP automatically from the Router), change the IP address of the Router so that it's in the same subnet as the main Router (the one that is connected to the Internet Modem); give it an IP that doesn’t conflict with the main router's base IP address, or the DHCP server range. This will ensure that you can reach the admin server of the old router from any LAN machine, and that the Wireless Clients IPs are assigned correctly.

Example:

- Main Router’s base address is 192.168.1.1, with a DHCP server range of 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150

- Set the Cable/DSL Router to (the one you're using as an Access Point) base address to any IP address between 192.168.1.151 to 192.168.1.250

Switch Off the DHCP on the Wireless Cable/DSL Router, and set to Off any filters or special settings that is On if it is used as the main Router.

Plug the Wireless Router to the main Router. Regular Port to Regular Port, using crossover cable (or straight patch if one port is an Uplink).

The WAN input of the Wireless Router should stay open.

Do not connect any thing to the WAN input.

The LAN’s computers (wired or wireless) should get the IP from one Router only.

If DHCP in on one Router make sure that it set to provide amount of IPs that totals the whole system.

The second Router has to act as a passive switch.

The result of this arrangement will be a wired Network with wired ports equal to the sum of the two Routers ports – 2, (i.e. two Routers with 4 ports each will yield 6 available wired ports), and a Wireless capacity.