router to router connectioon

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by clettering, Oct 2, 2004.

1. clettering

clettering Geek Trainee

my son wants to hookup his xbox to a Microsoft Wireless-G Xbox Adapter wireless router. We have a modem that is hooked to a router - which connects 2 pc's. Can I come out of that wired router to a wireless router that will communicate to his Microsoft Wireless-G Xbox Adapter ? thanks inadvance for your help....please email me at [email protected]

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, since this is a public forum, I'll answer your question here on the board. That way others can benefit from it as well. :)

You can hide one router behind the other, as long as you allow them to pass along their routing tables to eachother. You'll want to consult their respective manuals for specifics on that, as every router has a slightly different interface. Feel free to post a follow-up if you have any other questions.

3. clettering

clettering Geek Trainee

thanks for such a fast reply - but I am not literate on routers - can I connect a wired router to a wireless router via a cable ? For instance if I get a Linksys routers, one wired and one wireless and connect the wired one via a cable to the wireless router will the wireless router send the proper signal to the Microsoft Wireless-G Xbox Adapter ? thanks again for your help and hope this is not a "stupid" queston....

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

In short yes. All the wired routers I've seen have at least a few RJ-45 jacks on them...basically to connect to the DSL/Cable modem or another non-wired network.