Sata / Raid..

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by ProcalX, Jun 18, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

my pc is pretty nice as it is, however its lacking in 2 areas:
    CPU & hard drives

these are pretty much the only things that i believe are slowing my pc down..

basically i have a : 7N400 PRO2 Nforce 2 which supports SATA / Raid 1 + 0

whats the best hard drive i can get, looking at between: 100GB - 200GB, also CPU wise i would like something that will overclock well.. what speed does the 3000/200/400+ actually run at? (GHZ wise) ?

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

how much you wanna spend?

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

bout £100 on harddrive / £100 on CPU (lower if possible) + hard drive is main concern atm, cos i wont use anything more powerful than my 1.8ghz atm.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The mobile Athlons seem to OC nicely and have a lower stock voltage, which translate into less heat output. This can help you OC. The 2400 and 2500+'s, especially in Mobile forms seem to be nice overclockers. Also, the 2600+ would be a good pick.
    Not sure about UK pricing, but you can find all these chips less than or around $100USD, so it should be within reaon your price range.

Don't worry that it's mobile, though, as they're in the socket A packaging. ;)
    This Seagate 200GB IDE drive is pretty nice. 97 w VAT.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

3000+: There are two flavors
    1) FSB of 333mhz = 2.17ghz
    2) FSB of 400mhz = 2.1 ghz

3200+: 2.2 ghz (11x200)

3400+: 2.4 ghz (12x200)

But if you want to oc, grab a mobile 2500+ like BigB said.

As for the hard drive, I highly suggest you go with a Western Digital. They have been extremely reliable to me. More than Seagate and certainly more than Maxtor.

6. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

ok sounds great, got a bigger problem at the moment.. i loaded motherboard monitor because my case temperature readings were rather high and my CPU is running at 49-50C idle case @ 36C (and the temperatures dont seem to fluctuate when i stress the CPU at 100%)

i have my P160 Antec Case, which is supposed to be a very good cooling case..

i only have the 1 Antec 120mm standard fan in it, blowing out the back of my case.. and a coolermaster DP5...

in my old case i had 2 fans at the back (80mm one's) and one at front blowing through case, and my case temperature was like 16C :O my cpu ran at about 33C full load 27C idle..

my case can only hold 2 x 120mm case fans which is a real pain.. but then i did buy it for it being silent and all.. (but i want it cooler!!!) personally i think the 120mm standard case fans from antec are shite, the RPM on it must only be around 1000 if that.. my 80mm one's run at about 4000RPM and are slightly louder but keep my system nice and cool :O

any ideas???? HELP!

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, that is kinda high, but ultimately, if it's stable, you're not too hot.
    I think the idea behind the 120mm fans is that you can have the same, or better airflow with a slower RPM than with an 80mm. Also, it might help to have at least one fan sucking air in.

That CPU cooler is pretty basic and uses a smaller, medium RPM fan, so the performance you have isn't all that great.

I know SVC.com is having some real steals in CPU cooling, but they don't ship outside the US last I checked. Thermalright is arguably the best when it comes to air coolers.
    I'd look at an SK-7 for the cheap end, and and SLK 800 or 900 series cooler. Just double check before you buy since they have ones that require the mounting holes around the socket to install the cooler. If your mobo doesn't have them, you'll be in a pickle. Also, you will have to remove the motherboard to install it (which is usually the best thing to do anyway, IMO).

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

hmm i think im going to invest in 1. a new cpu (barton 2500+ mobile) 2.a brand new heatsink a really nice gigabyte 3D Cooler 3. 2 new 120mm powerful case fans

9. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

If you are still looking for a fairly decent HD, there is a 200GB Maxtor Diamondback for around £104, which is SATA150, and there is a 200GB Maxtor DB, but is SATA133 for £97. both at 7200rpm. This is at ebuyer.com

They had some ok Raptor Disks - a 34gb western digital for around £78 I think..and a 74 for around 158.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

36 and 74GB disks. These are the 10,000RPM drives, of WD's Raptor series. They can do this since they no longer have a SCSI line of drives as do Maxtor and Seagate.

11. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Oh yeah i mean diamond max, not diamond back.....

how come the capacity of the raptors is so much smaller than the 7200rpm ones?

i can understand a little smaller, but less than 100?

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's a trade off for their 10,000RPM spindle speed. They're the only non-SCSI hard drives that run faster than 7200RPM.