Screen goes black while typing

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sophie, May 24, 2011.

1. sophie

sophie Geek Trainee

Sometimes, my screen turns black (for like a second) while I'm typing, then it goes back to normal. Any idea why? Should I be worried?

Thanks,

Sophie

ps I have a Dell inspiron 1547 running Window 7

2. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

This may have something to do with the RAM or maybe the video card in the computer. One thing you can try is to run the Dell Diagnostics software. They usually send you a cd with that software on it. Boot to the CD and then run the memory test first and if there is a RAM problem it will tell you. If it passes the Ram test, esc out of it and then do an express/quick test of the computer. It will then test the rest of your hardware on the laptop and let you know if it finds any problems. If you do not have the CD with the software on it, you can go to www.support.dell.com and go to home user support. Choose the drivers and software option. Then choose the option to put in your service tag (usually found on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop, its usually 7 characters i believe). This will bring up a list of drivers and software for your specific laptop, and one of the catagories should be something to do with diagnostics. This should have the Dell Diagnostic software you can download for your computer.

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

It sounds more likely to be an issue with the cable running to your screen. Are you able to connect another screen to your system? If you have the same issues with that screen, then it is caused by your graphics card.

4. violetblueskies

violetblueskies Big Geek

could be a loose cable in the screen like RH said. the effect should happen more frequently by moving the screen.
    this could also be a backlight going bad in the lcd.