SCSI help

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by loaded_chambers, Mar 27, 2003.

1. loaded_chambers

loaded_chambers Geek Trainee

I am interested in a IBM Ultrastar Piranha 36Z15 and am wondering what kind of adapter, controller card, etc...I would need to do it as I have never messed with SCSI drives before. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. Skaeleen

Skaeleen Geek Trainee

Ahhm, GO SCSI! SCSI OWNZ!

i'll give you the Card I personally use, in the tower downstairs. theres the model...

Link Here

This thign offers amazing preformance, but, before you go out and buy a SCSI hard drive, ask yourself theese questions:

A) Are you using a very high perfomance PC that goes under HUGE loads of data tranfsers per hour.

B) Are you willing to invest hundresda of dollars just for a SCSI drive?

C) Do you want SCSI for the performance, or to say you have a SCSI drive.

D) Consider the current 8MB Cache, and 7200 RPM drives, or SATA high end drives, before going SCSI. Sata is going to soon replace IDE, and its high preformance drives are at an affordable price. around 250 USD + a SATA card. I would suggest you look into SATA drives before you go SCSI.

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Skaeleen's right.

Another alternative might be to look at those 10k ide drives. I don't know if they're out yet though, if they're not, I do not know when they will be.

4. syngod

syngod Moderator

The 10k drives are out however they are only available to resellers and not retailers so don't expect to find one in Best Buy.

You'll probably only find them in HP, Dell, etc. high end work stations and servers.

5. Skaeleen

Skaeleen Geek Trainee

AS For SATA drives, they kick Western Digitals ass in every way... I've read several reviews on these hard drives. Some reviewers like them, some do not. I've personally used one, and they ROCK the house. Even though these SATA hard drives are preforming extremely well, keep in mind that SATA technology is still in it's infancy. Over the next few months you will be seeing Serial ATA taken to all new levels as Seagate, as well as other companies, release bigger, better and faster SATA hard drives. But this is now, and Seagate have made their SATA hard drives available to the general public first.

Also, SATA is not only in HP's and Dell high end workstations, they hit the market long ago, hency why most boards, or high end board like my own came with SATA connectors, wires, and cards. becuase they are here! The SATA 10K RPM drives were out somewhere, I cant find the link right now, but at my local PC Shop, heres what I found... SEAGATE 120 SATA 7200 stk12802 - $299.99 CAD. Which is reasonbly great for a good quality hard drive.

6. syngod

syngod Moderator

Sorry wasn't too clear on that I meant WD's Raptor 10,000 RPM IDE drives won't be available to retailers.

7. Skaeleen

Skaeleen Geek Trainee

Western Digitals Raptor drives are so nice. Just wait and see when they hit the markey it'll be a showdown between SCSI, IDE< and SATA. Sata and SCSI will be ahead of the game because any IDE cord longer than 18" has a huge chance of loosing data. SCSI and SATA have no problem with this. The only reason why huge towers were created in the first place were for SCSI drives, becuase SCSI has no problem going through 40" cords, but IDE wasnt built for that. IDE will still be around, but if only SCSI would lower their prices, my 12X YAMAHA SCSI CD-RW was 400$ when I first got it. Worth every cent, but hell, it was so expensive, its still working too.