Second build, scrapping intel, using AMD-64

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Willz, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

ok, well i have decided to build a new rig, this time i am using amd, i have had it wit intel, there so sluggish, anyway i have an idea of what i may build but i want your adivce, i bookmarked hardware for an agp rig, and a pci-e rig, if i go with agp then i will be able to get a decent enougth graphics card, anyway, i am on a budget of around £400, 1st off here is the specs of the system i am curently using.

intel pentium 4 3.0ghz (prescott)
    1gb pc3200 400mhz ram
    dfi infinity 865pe (intel 865pe REV.B)
    500w psu
    ATI Radeon 9600
    160gb hdd

I may but some new ram for my new build but i dont think i will need to, as what i will do is take one stick of 512mb ram out of the computer i am using now and then put it into my new build, so both computers then will have 512mb ram, but i am thinking of buying a new stick so my new build will be equipped with 1gb ram, but with the current hardware i have chose i am not able to buy ram.

i will post links to the hardware i have chose, i can build a better agp system with my current budget but on other forums i am told that i would be screwing up my upgrade path if i buy agp as apparantly agp will be dead in about a year.

anyway here is the agp build (i have a case & extra power supply, but i may have to buy a new power supply becouse i think mine are very low quality)

ok for the agp build i have chose a skt 754 system:
    the agp system will cost me £422,34p, my dad will pay for the £22,34p :p

DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb SKT754
    AMD (Newcastle) Athlon 64bit 3400+ 754pin 512kb L2cache
    Sapphire Radeon X800PRO 256MB DDR3 AGP X8 TV-Out DVI

For the PCI-E build i have chosen skt939 for this system
    the pci-e system will cost me £407.42p

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (NewCastle) 2.2ghz L2-512kb 939p
    MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SKT939 nForce4
    128MB Winfast PX 6600GT TDH Extreme

there we go, thats the 2 i have chosen, do you think there ok, if not please reccomend one ot build, remeber, i have a case, psu, ram,hdd, i will just stick a 20gb hdd in my current computer and stick the 160gb hdd in my new build.

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

have you thought about sli? it will be coming soon and prepare for it! i wil get it only when i absolutely have to...like when agp completely dies out and my graphics card decides to give up on me, then i shall buy new cpu, mobo, graphics card etc....

3. Willz

yes but sli is going to take me way over my budget, as i said i only have a budget of £400, and my computer i have now is just too slow, and is breaking down on me, and shutting down, anyway, this that i have just said about my computer breaking down is for another thread, i need help on building another computer, i have put the links on now, for agp and pci-e machine, wich one do you think i should build, or could anyone reccomend a god system to build so would come into my budget, i want to be able to play games like doom 3, bf1942, and unreal tournament 2004 at very good framrates.

WOW mat555 your system in unbelivably simaler to my old one, i had an 865pe motherboard, a celeron d 2.8ghz and the exact same graphics card as you.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

cool, well i gona be getting more ram soon, then a new cooler, here here's the link to the new stuff i am going to be buying:
    http://www.hardwareforums.com/showthread.php?t=6284
    New cooler (beast) an stuff, i got another thread about my new case:
    http://www.hardwareforums.com/showthread.php?p=38461#post38461
    Check them out, yeah sli is gona be way to expensive for me at the minute, i'll just need to get a mobo with it as agp wil soon be gone. I waont need kick-ass graphics though as i dont really play games, also i wont be using dual sli cards, i'll just try and find something basic...

Willz likes this.
  5. Willz

kool, i dont want sli, apparently it only gains a performance increase of 20%-40%, your just better off with a 6800gt, that stuff for ya computer, nice stuff *thumbs up*

anyway, wich system do you think i should build?
    or what other hardware should i get, like what other motherboard/cpu/grafix card?
    i am up for some intel suggestions but i would much rather have amd.

i have a 256mb bfg geforce fx 5200 oc, pci and a pny geforce fx 5200 128mb pci, al sell one, and one can go in my old emachines computer, at mo the radoen 9600 tottaly thrashes all the fx 5200 cards, my radoen 9600 also is 256mb, but just dont cut it for modern gaming :(

6. Willz

so can anyone help me, even tho i have put 2 systems i am still unsure what to hardware to get, any suggestions, anything?

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Willz likes this.
  8. Willz

i said what parts i would like to have (check first post in this thread)
    i am thinking about buying my stuff off newegg even tho i am in the uk.

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

well what you have there is pretty good, if you want better you'll have to raise your budget but that stuff's good for the money u got.

10. Willz

so my system that i am using when i wrote this post is good?
    i dont think i will have to raise my buget as i said before, i have the ram, power supply, hdd, cd/dvd drive and case.

BUT i dont know weather i should go with the AGP option OR the PCI-E option :rolleyes:

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

well pci-e is the next thing so look to the future, agp wont be around for much longer and if anything goes wrong you may have to upgrade again...if it was me i'd go with the pci-e option...its the future and there's no escaping it!

12. Willz

i know the PCI-E option is cheaper, but the graphics card is a pile of crud compared to the AGP X800 Graphics card aint it?

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

well pci-e graphics cards are great, but they are expensive, if you want a good one then budget will have to be increased, if you want the cheaper agp graphics card then get it as you do get more for your money....

14. Willz

ok, 2 cards, both x800pro's, one is pci-e, and the other is agp, so why will the pci-e card cost more than the agp, as when you got the cards that are the same exept one is agp, and the other is pci, there was no cost different, so why is there the cost difference with pci-e?

15. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

because pci express is new technology, agp is dying right now, motherboards are packing pciex16 and x1 now

pci express x16 wields much greater potential for graphics processing than AGP

16. Willz

why the hell would anyone want errm pci express 1x, that will be slower than agp 8x, 16x well i know it is faster, but agp had much greater potential for graphics processing than pci, but you did not see agp costing more than pci.

17. Addis

Addis The King

Simply PCI-E comes with different number of lanes. 1x is for peripherals like NICs that don't require huge amounts of bandwidth. x16 is for graphics cards, PCI-E is more expensive than AGP becaue its newer, and performs better. Period.

18. Willz

hey anyway wich one do you think i should go for (check first post in this thread)

The PCI-EXPRESS option
    OR
    The AGP option?

19. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

me personally i think PCI-E as its the future and better, agp may be cheaper but soon it will be gone

20. Willz

do you think the 6600gt will serve me good?