Second build, scrapping intel, using AMD-64

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Willz, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

yea, cos i cant afford ram, whats better, keeping my current system, and getting some kick ass ram, OR ditching my current system, getting an amd 64 3700+ and x800xt card and good motherboard, and keeping generic ram?

wich opton do you think i should do for?

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Ditching most of your current system, selling what you don't need, getting a 3500+ and waiting for ATI to unleash their new line of cards maybe, which will drop the prices of the X800XT and give you more options to choose from with their new graphics cards. You'll still be able to spend like 80 quid on some sweet ram I'm thinking. Just my opinion.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Has any of this been helpful to you mate?;)
    Also, you can concider this: X850Pro I'm sure they sell it in the UK cheap too, concider this a reference. I still suggest waiting but if you can't this might be the ticket, great clock speeds at least:good:

4. Willz

is x850 pro better than the 6800 ultra, also if i ditche my current system, i will have to buy a new graphics cards, coz i dont have a pci-e one, also, i aint going to sell it, its going on the floor next to my old 1.2ghz rig.

5. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

no, its not, the X850XT is only a bit faster than the 6800Ultra, otherwise its lower, but damn is that bang for your buck

6. Willz

is the x800pro better?, lol i think i willg ow tih a 6800 ultra then.
    wich is the best
    1:6800gt OR X800 pro or x800xt or x800?
    2:6800ultra OR x850 pro or x850xt.?
    3:6800gt OR x800pro or x800 or x800xt?

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Okay First off the X850XT is a little faster than the 6800U as zRock said, nothing major, maybe 10-15% depending on the test:
    http://www.pcmoddingmy.com/content.php?review.220.7
    1. The 6800GT is faster than the X800/X800Pro by a fair margin, but is a bit slower than the X800XT
    2. The 6800U is a little faster than the X850Pro in most tests, but not quite as fast as the X850XT
    3. I guess I already answered this, if you meant 6800U instead of GT than the 6800U is faster than the X800Pro/X800 but slightly slower than the X800XT in some tests.
    Best bang for buck either the X850Pro I linked or the 6800GT overclocked to the Ultra level:good:

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Oh, and the 6800GT is probably around the same league as the X850Pro maybe a tad slower.

9. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

A jolly good job on your description of the video cards :) Anyways, the choice between video cards, in my mind, comes down to the companies. It is usually personal preference, unless you are comparing an X850XTPE to a 6600, well maybe I exaggerated, but you get the point.

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Reliable companies are a bonus but generally, unless you see a noticable spec difference they perform about the same. Just check to see what kind of games are bundled with the card and if it has any decent eccessories:good:

11. Addis

Addis The King

Usually they're all ok, firms mostly use a reference design supplied by NV or ATi and so most reference cards will perform identically, sometimes they will sa whether they have been modified or not. if they are then its a bonus. you can find some pre-overclocked cards like Gainwards "GoldenSample" which havebeen tested to make sure that certain card will perform under faster clocks.

12. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I just saw this Computer Shopper on my desk. The headline reads, "The Best Graphics Cards; 8 Picks for All Budgets". This article gives the following categories; Come Hell or High Frame Rates, Price/Performance Sweet Spot, and Better Than Integrated. The winner of the first category is *drumroll*, no surprise here, the ATI Radeon X850XTPE. the first runner up is the ATI Radeon X800XL, and the second runner up is nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra. IN the second category is, once again no surprise (at least to me), is the ATI Radeon X800XL. The first runner up is the nVidia GeForce 6600 GT. The second runner up is nVidia GeForce 6800 GT. In the third and final category, there were only 2 cards competing, the ATI Radeon X300 SE and the EVGA e-GeForce 6200 TC. The winner in this category is, by a margin of 4.6 FPS, The ATI Radeon X300 SE. As you can see, ATI swept all the categories. While the 7800 wasn't in this competition it doesn't make much difference in you case. It would also make the test unfair because the cards are in categories and there is no card to compete with the 7800. The whole article isn't online, because then there would be no magazine, but the just of it can be found here. I will say that the charts that were in the magazine are not there so it's not quite as reader friendly.

13. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Good find mate, hmmm, I've always heard that the 6200 was faster than the X300 by a fair bit, guess it depends. ATI has been doing quite well lately but I still think that nVidia still shows promise.

14. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, they are still a good company, but at the moment ATI has them. But of course I remember not to long ago when nVidia was doing better. I have the computer shopper from when the X800 came out, that was when the tables turned.

15. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah, nVidia used to own the competition, it was like "I need a graphics card, guess I'd better go nVidia.", that and those Voodoo cards untill they died, that company revolutionized the gfx adaptor indudstry with that line, they also techniquly created SLI, except instead of using PCIe it was PCI I belive and one card rendered one half of the screen while the other card worked on the opposing side, crude but kick ass for '98 was it? Thing is I forgot what the company was called:O

16. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea that was pretty nice, for '98. I shall go into my computer parts boneyard and see, I think I have one.

EDIT: Nope, something older... out of a Pentium I :good:

17. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

3dfx?

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thanks Fetus, good work. P1, reminds me of school:rolleyes:

19. Willz

haha, lol i sold a 3dfx vodoo (16mb) for £5, oh no i just remembers, it was broke lol, so person who i sold it to binned it, but i am wondering if he did it so he would not have to pay me :s.

so anyway, what card do you think i should definetly go for, i want to spend £200 on a graphics card well inbetween £150 and £200, prefrebly £180, any suggestions wich card i should definityl go for?

remember, i want to play all the current games at good fps, and possibley farcry at highest settings, and doom 3 on ultra settings possibley :\, and i would like to play ut2k7 on high settings (thats taking into account if it has a very high graphics setting) but if it dont have a very high graphics setting and high is the highest then i would like to play it on at least medium settings.

20. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

i would have kept it, my dad has like 5 pentiums, a K6-2, a pentium pro

he doesn't use them at all

he also has the disks from inside old hard drives that dont work, its awesome