Setting up a new PC

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Girtho961, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

I soon plan on building a new system and my biggest fear right now is setting up the computer after i have built. Can you guys tell me it is really that hard, and if you guys have any tips on transfering files from one computer to another i would appreciate it.

2. Addis

Addis The King

If you use Windows, you can transfer files with the Files and Settings transfer wizard.
    Its not hard to set it up after you build it, just install the OS and any programs you want.

3. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

There are a few ways to transfer files across computers. You can copy the files to a floppy drive though that's quite inefficient as their storage capacity is very low, you can burn the files onto a CD if you have a CD-R but probably the easiest way is to copy the files across a network if you have the right hardware. However if you are building a new computer you can also put both hard-drives into the same computer and copy them across directly. Normally this idea is messy and inefficient but worth doing if you have the computer in bits anyway.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

if you want all the files including the registry and stuff then you'll need a program like norton ghost, make a ghost copy of your hard drive and then use that to transfer files over

5. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

or save the files or hard drive contents on a mobile HD and then simply instal the programs on the other computer, the same can be done with a few DVD-Rs

6. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

File and settings transfer is definately your best bet in this situation.

7. n0chi

n0chi Geek Trainee

yea is there some guide for n00bs like me to learn how to actually put everything together once the parts arrive.. and in what order things need to be done for optimal efficiency? :)

8. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Noth that I know of, but I'm sure there is somewhere. Check Google but if you come up short I can write one up for you, as can most other people here.

9. nik

nik Geek Trainee

hiya...as youre talking about files and settings transfer wizard...does any1 mind telling me exactly where this is ,and what steps need to be done please so i can transfer some files from my wired connection to my wireless in another room.i am really struggling with it,and i have even been reading thse help stuff on xp etc...but its still not working..i want..i think...if im right..a network situation between the 2..but i have just set up the wireless 1 with a usb adapter..and a wireless router from the other pc...its a bt 1 and i followed instructions on box to set up,installed the s/ware it came with etc..and theres the connection there...
    its really frustrating as there are so many things/options etc,networking,etc.....and all i want to do is to be able to share a few files over the 2 pcs...esp as i mhavin probs with the new 1,and dell have sent me a load of discs they wany me to do a full reinstall with...so i need to save some info..and with only a combo drive i cant fit it on cds...as music stuff etc.
    please some1 let me know anout the sharing...i was getting a msg in the wireless pc whan i tried following the instructions on win xp as i was trying to do the add client bit..it said the xp didnt have the drivers for it,and it didnt try to get them..wouldnt work.
    please help someone...i dont want to keep trying things which could mess setting etc up even more,lol..
    thanks...ill be so relieved when its all working properly..will seem like a miracle compared to now.

10. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

First go through [link=http://www.hardwareforums.com/how-setup-wireless-network-12776/]this[/link]... and I would suggest you to start a new thread with a better topic heading in a proper section (Networking and Security)..

11. snakeeyes

snakeeyes Geek Trainee

I did mine a few months ago for the first time. I wouldn't say its hard by a long shot and I'm no super genius. Takes lots of time and paitence and just keep hogging for forum with any questions you have. Great sense of achievment once you've done it bud. Stick at it... :D

12. nik

nik Geek Trainee

mm.i have a question now...

i was trying to set up the wireless pc to be able to receive files from my other 1..and as i was trying things out...i read a bit in the xp help sections which said i had to click add or install on a client icon in 1 of boxes i was on..hmm...i tried that...but then it was coming up with an error message..saying it didnt have the right drivers to do that..so i clicked the option to try find them...but wouldnt work..so i had to leave it...

but...a bit later..i was reconfiguring the wireless on it...and i noticed another way to get to the add client bit...i think now it was somehow through the wireless icon....(lol;0)...so i clicked add/install client again on this..and the pc did some kind of whole system reconfiguration...like retsarting, etc...and when it did..it now starts with a different page to the usual 1 i always had before on start up and shut down (always the normal xp 1 before..whole screen blue etc)...now its this little box which comes up..and it asks for my password again...but it now also says a different user name in it..instead of my usual one...;/....my password still works...but being a learner with this kind of thing...tbhy..ive no idea what ive done....and i also get a message sometimes if i try to connect to net on it...saying this page is not available offline etc..click here to connect...and fortunately it is connecting...and all my info is still there etc...but i could do with finding out what it is ive axtually done...and if this is the right way to go.....

im trying not to do anything else on it now..until i know more..as i dont want to reconfigure things in the wrong order..or the wrong way etc....i cant see where im supposed to start...i have the wireless pc connected to internet now..that wasnt really a problem...except it kept losing its signal..and id have to reinstsall s/ware cd..but its ok....its just getting the 2 pcs to talk to each other..transfer files etc...thats the problem.....WHERE TO START...WHATS FIRST??

:)

13. snakeeyes

snakeeyes Geek Trainee

Hi nik, don't know how much help I can be here bud but I'll try my bit.
    I just want to clarify some things though.

i) Your internet does actually work?
    ii) The internet connection loses signal everynow and then?
    iii) You have to keep re-installing the software for the internet?
    iv) You're having problems transfering files (etc) from one computer to another?

14. nik

nik Geek Trainee

hi snakeeyes..

yes,the pc which i have set up for my son in his room is runnig wireless from my wired connection ,and his kept losing connection,and i was having to reinstall the s/ware cd..its a bt wireless router,and he has a usb adapter in his pc.it does seem a bit more stable now..but its not always connecting to net as it should.

and yes im having problems trying to transfer files etc..ive no idea how to do it..as when i was trying before..looking at the wireless stuff on the xp,and files transfer etc...i didnt know what i was doing as there was so much stuff..and i tried a few things which didnt totally work..like i got my pc to see both pcs in its network...but not vice versa...etc..

and to be honest i want it all doing properly,best way...as mine is new..and i cant afford to cock it up..know what i mean.i have done a clean reinstall on the new 1 ..with cds sent by dell..win xp pro..,..and all seems fine now...on mine..but i cant afford to mess things up and have to reinstall again...as i have alot of data on here now..files etc..i need.

so really...now i think i should get all the info off my sons pc i need..( as this was mine before)..try transfer it to my new one...then i can ...hopefully.. do a reinstall on his too..to give him a clean start..and space for all his games etc.

1 thing i dont know ..is will my dell xp reinstall cds work to do this on his....he has a dell pc...and it has xp on it at moment...but obviously i presume the drivers etc needed will be different....his is an optiplex 150..and mine is a dimension 3100c...sorry about all the questions...but i need to know this..before i start trying to reinstall...

15. snakeeyes

snakeeyes Geek Trainee

Sorry I can't be much help here nik, I'm just trying to be more helpfull than no help at all, that's all mate. If anyone see's that I'm wrong on something or don't know please chip in you lot.

i) Wireless connections are known to lose signal everynow and then, its just like a radio in that the signal might be weak or a server might have too many people connecting (unless its a wireless transmitter leading to a telephone socket in your house).
    This can possibly be fixed by changing the location and proximity of the computer/transmitter in the house. Walls, floors and ceilings will all contribute to a weaker signal.

ii) I don't know why you have to keep re-installing the programme. It shouldn't be like that, if anyone has any suggestions please...??

iii) Regards swopping files I'm not sure yet but I'll get back to you. One way might be to just get a long networking wire and connect them that way or a flash memory stick. Of course I'm aware that these arn't really what you want because you want to get your wireless to do the work. Unsure. Will look into it.

Sorry can't be more help than that, another option would be to contact Dell and ask them. Provided the computer is under warrenty.

16. nik

nik Geek Trainee

hiya,

yea i thought that might be the case with the signal thing..so i moved the usb adapter as well...and it seems a bit stronger now..medium to good..on the indicator.

i dont know why i had to keep reinstalling the s/ware either..other than i was trying the set up wizards for networking and wireless etc..and perhaps the xp wizards were overriding the software..then making it disconnect or something..but im just guessing.

yea..i appreciate your help..any help at all is better than nowt..i only really started using a pc about 1 n half yrs ago or something...and didnt do a course or anything..just teachin myself..by trial and error..and because im not really a reader etc..when it comes to pc stuff...theres alot of basic things i dont know..but i know other stuff...as i do music...i need to get this all sorted so i can start installin my music progs and get producin...but i do need to reinstall xp on my sons..really i guess i could do it now...as i have most of the info off there i need..but i think it would be useful to have them connected..so i couold transfer etc if need be...as im sure it will at some point soon..hmm...thats where im a bit stuck shall we say. i dont know where to start...what i need.etc..i dont want any more wires full stop...i have enough as it is..;))

also..if i want to change the cd drives over..as the optiplex had a dvd burner in it..which is better than this combo in the dimension...is it just a case of swapping them...of will i have to somehow install new drivers or something..?..i cant remember what i did when i added the dvd burner to my other pc now...:doh:

cheeeeeeeeeers..

17. snakeeyes

snakeeyes Geek Trainee

With your dvd drives it should be a simple case of swopping them over yes. You may have to install specific drivers for them though which means either having the disc for it or finding it on the net.

Glad you sorted the signal strength issue out but even the time of day can change signal strength (People using more at certain times) so if it starts to dip again it might not be the location after all.

I congratulate you on not taking a PC course. The best way to learn IMO is to get stuck in. Just experiment. Of course when you've got things at stake like critical folders dont but you knew that anyway...

It might be better to get your criticals on a DVD then you CAN experiment without fear of losing anything important eh?

Regards the s/ware installation you might have some folk take more notice if you put it as a seperate question in the software section of the forums. Not being funny here but you get some folk who know about hardware and some who know about software (and some clever gits who know about both). The softiee's will no doubt hang out in the software bit of the forums.
    I'm really struggling on that one. No one I know has any idea.