sh1t

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by donkey42, Jun 16, 2009.

1. donkey42

donkey42 plank

ok, heres the situ

i have an install of lenny with no kernel installed :doh:[ot]cos i plank[/ot]and another install of lenny
    which in my opinion has a severe limp (but works)
    can't kill or uninstall gforce-dns-bind9, so obviously DNS not confd correctly

now i would like to fix old install with no kernel installed, assuming i get to CLI with no kernel i'll install with dpkg

BTW: i can access lenny with no kernel from lenny with dns-bind9 probs

it amazing what can go tits up when trying to make sure it doesn't

also does anyone know where lenny boot options are, tried google unsuccesfully

all help appriciated

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Do you mean no kernel, or no X.org (the GUI)? Because, damn, if you've managed to get a system installed with no kernel, I'd like to know just how you did it.

As for gforce-dns-bind9, I don't even know what that is. Are you talking about bind9, the recursive DNS server? If so, I have no idea why you're running bind on a desktop PC... all you need is libdns and maybe dnsutils if you want to do CLI-based DNS troubleshooting. If you just want local DNS caching, dnsmasq is probably a better bet, but it won't give you much of a speedup since there's only one host doing the lookups. I wouldn't even bother with it.

P.S. - Forgot to mention: If you really managed to delete your working kernel, there is still a way to recover. Let me know if that's the case.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yep, name souded good
    sound like me, use the stuff with most impressive name, even if it wasn't made for what i want it for :doh:

BTW: i read descriptions in Synaptic & if it sound good i want it, irrelevant of what i'd be better off with

yeah, i think i can either chroot into my old install or use Busybox, but ive seach google the boot options or tags whatever there called

using something without fully understanding it is bl00dy dangerous and even worse when i'm invoved

BTW: you've got some patience to put up with a plank like me :pray: god bless you and all who sail with you :beer:

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yeah, that's kind of a bad habbit, hehehe, especially where core functions like DNS are involved. If you want local DNS caching I can do a writeup for you, but all in all, sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

Yup, right on the money. I'd use a live CD or a working installation and chroot into your broken environment, then install a working kernel. That or reformat/reinstall, depending on whether I had anything to lose in the installation. No offense, but judging by your whimsical package installation habits, you might be better off just getting yourself a Lenny NetInst disc and starting over.

If not, here's a general outline of the chroot process:
    • Boot working system (live CD or working HDD installation)
    • mkdir /tmp/brokenlinux
    • mount /dev/path/to/broken/installation /tmp/brokenlinux
    • mount --bind /dev /tmp/brokenlinux/dev
    • mount proc /tmp/brokenlinux/proc -t proc
    • chroot /tmp/brokenlinux /bin/bash
    • Download and install kernel (HWF kernel perhaps?)

Hehe, I recall recommending that somebody on the forums do his mad experiments in VirtualBox instead of on production systems, now who was that again? :chk:
    It's no problem, I broke a lot of systems when I was still learning too. Then again, virtual machines are a lot better now than they were when I was learning, so you have a huge advantage if you choose to make good use of it.

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah i remembered it last night, now you know what i mean by saying i have a stupid memory

just exactly what do you mean :halo:

well your right linux never saw me coming, if it had it would probably run for the hills, then again it stands up to me pretty well
    :dunno: :halo: :look inosent:, i think i'd better start again
    me mess in VM's no

Edit: how much fun would that be ?

[ot]Donkey stamps his foot hard, so hard he starts yelping. . . then he realizes he's not a dog but can't remember what donkies do . . . still thinking. . . still[/ot]