Sharing files over a home network?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Euro98ITR, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Euro98ITR

Euro98ITR Big Geek

Now that my pc is up and running strong again, I decided to network my both pcs. I did this by some cable and 2 network cards. Im very new too networks, i never did this before but since both pcs are running WIN XP Pro it was an easy job. I did this for the purpose that my brother which uses the other pc can be able to connect to the internet through my pc.

The problem is here: How can I share files from both pcs? Let's say my brother has a document and I want to open it from my pc, how can this be done?

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

well if theyre both networked properly, and theyre both connected, you put that document into his "My Shared" foldder (it might be My shared documents) it should be at the top when you go into my computer. After you put the document into his shared folder you open my network places or something along those lines, then there should be two folders, one containing that document

sorry if its not right...i havent used windows in a little while. Good luck!

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I hope there's a router between your PCs and the internet, or you'll be sharing files with a lot more than just your brother. :eek:

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

good point AT!

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

True. However, if it's just a direct link between two systems, and sharing an internet connection isn't necessary (especially if it's not something like DSL or Cable), then a crossover cable will be fine.

6. Anti-Trend

Also true. ...Unless they're using one PC for ICS (internet connection sharing), which they are. :(

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Musta missed that. Oh, well, if it's not dialup and you don't want to splurge for a router (which tend to have a hardware firewall in them), I highly suggest you get something like Zone Alarm at the very least if you have an always-on connection like cable or DSL

8. Anti-Trend

Except zonealarm will break ICS :( You need either a statefull firewall like Kerio Personal Firewall, which requires some networking experience, or an external router...

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Then again, Routers aren't all that expensive...according to Newegg. If your from the UK, see what Dabs.com has there.

10. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

don't need a router just get a network hub (switching) 4 port for like £10 from ebuyer.

or just disable the appropriate protocols, so that only people on your network can view your files.

11. Anti-Trend

Why spend $10 on a hub of all things, when you could spend just a few bucks more and have a real network? First of all, a hub is completely depreciated technology and should be avoided. Secondly, a real, dedicated hardware router can provide a level of security that software firewalls cannot touch. Finally, many home routers come with integrated switches, which are far superior to hubs anyway. Why get a hub?

P.S. - If you don't think home users need any security, perhaps I'll dump 10 minutes worth of my firewall logs for you. ;)

12. Euro98ITR

Euro98ITR Big Geek

I dont share files regularly. Most of the time the other pc is switched off. I did this so that my bro can search the internet from his own pc. So I think there is no need for routers or other stuff. Im using an ADSL 512K connection.

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Alright, lemme make sure we're on the same page. You've got 2 PC, each with a network card in them. You also have an ADSL "modem" going to your computer. Now, the ADSL "modem": how is this normally connected to your PC? USB or with a network cable?

If you're not going to get a router, at least download a firewall software. Seriously. If you're going to use a connection that is always on, this is something you really need to have. Much like you need an Anti-Virus if you want to protect yourself if the system will be on the internet at all. Sure, you might be fine, but it only takes one scumbag to screw you over. With a firewall, if some spyware gets on your system and is trying to send stuff out, it'll be blocked. Even if you're not sharing anything, that won't stop it. Windows XP does have a firewall, but it only blocks incoming traffic. If something gets past that, it will not prevent it from sending stuff out. Additionally, any Windows OS prior to XP does not have a firewall built in at all.

Seriously, you do need some kinda protection. If you don't do that, you're doing yourself and huge disservice.

14. Anti-Trend

Super-basic security FAQ: Here

My snort Logs for Today

Attached Files:

• ids.txt
      File size:
      4.9 KB
      Views:
    Waffle likes this.
  15. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Networking two computer and DSL via Switch

Hi,
    I was just wondering around this forum, when by luck read this one. Actually, I am geting my DSL started on the 9th of August (atlast i will free of dial ups), but i want to share my DSL (Verizon) service with my roommate. I currently own one 5 port (ethernet) Syslink Switch.
    Now, what I understand from the posts is that inorder for me to have a safe Shared DSL connection, I should have a firewall installed on both of my computers (considering that router is not an option).
    The verizon CD comes with the Full MSN software, which includes an MSN Firewall. If I install the firewall on both PC's, then will I be able to safely share my DSL, if only a switch is used.

16. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That is correct. Now, I don't know how good MSN Firewall is, but you definitely want to make sure you have a firewall up.

17. Anti-Trend

Hmm, actually if you're hooking your DSL directly to a switch, and then two PCs connected to eachother and the internet through that same switch, than you will not be able to effectively share files between the two systems without also sharing them with at least large portions of the Internet. The reason for this is that both machines will be pulling down seperate IP addresses from your ISP in order to get online, so you won't be able to effectively isolate internet traffic from local traffic in order to prevent unauthorized connections. In other words, a software firewall won't work. :(

If I was you, I'd consider getting an inexpensive home router, such as a Netgear, and simply connect the DSL modem to that, then the PCs to the router. In that case only the router pulls down an Internet routable IP address, and the two (or more) workstations are completely protected, while still being able to swap files in privacy and security.

Alternately, you could build yourself a router for almost zero cost. You don't have to be a networking guru to do this, nor do you need any specialized hardware. All you need is an old worthless junker PC that still works, such as a 486 with 32mb RAM and a 400mb HDD, and at least two network cards in that machine. Then you simply download and install the IPCop operating system, which will power your router. This process takes about five minutes and is pretty self-explanatory, as long as you know a little bit about your ISP and account settings. Once the OS is installed, you don't even need a keyboard, mouse or monitor anymore, as your machine can be securely administrated from your own web browser. I have a setup like this at home, and it runs on a K6-2~300MHz with 128MB RAM system that was given to me at no cost. I simply added two $5 Realtek-chipset NICs, and I was good to go! This is a very good solution, and very secure. You just hook your new custom router up to your dsl, then connect your network switch to the other network card, and you're securely situated behind your own, dedicated, professional-class firewall. :good:

Lastly, and this is definately the least preferrable option, you could add two NICs to each machine, then have a cable directly between the two machines, and have that be the connection that your Windows networking is enabled on. Then just run a good software firewall on the other NICs, and have them connected to your ADSL line. That way should keep you fairly secure, but nothing beats a good router. Not only that, but having a router will greatly simplify your network, as it will run its own DHCP server (automatically gives out IP addresses). Besides, if you have to buy an extra two NICs anyway, you may as well be putting them in an old low-end system that isn't good enough to be a workstation anymore, and just make that your firewall. OK, take it or leave it! ;)

18. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Mack

hhumm,
    Quite interesting and enlightening, but unfortunately i don't have an old PC (Just have a 500mhz processor, and a 128 mb ram chip). Right now, I will go for the router, but later i might try your idea. (just for experience)
    Thanks a lot guys.

19. Anti-Trend

No problem :)