Sleep mode doesnt enter soft mode anymore

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Dwarfer, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

Hi I have Vista x64.

My problem is my motherboard no longer enters a soft-off mode anymore when I click on the sleep button, it used to enter soft mode where all devices would shut down and the pc would appear to be turned off, but now the pc and devices stays on, the only thing that turns off is the monitor - it enters standby mode, but not the pc

I havent changed any settings to my knowledge.

The pic is my bios power settings maybe that can help someone. I changed the ACPI 2.0 to Enabled but that didnt help.

Thanks for your help

Attached Files:

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Not used Vista in a very long time so can't say where to look but I do believe there's a option where you can say what should and should not go to sleep.

Try looking under power management.

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

Hi thanks for your response.

I've raided my power options in control panel and cant find anything that will disable soft-mode. All I can find is options to change what the sleep button does, whether it enters sleep or hibernation, etc.

I haven't changed any settings, so it has to be a problem of some sort with maybe drivers or something in windows.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Something is telling the PC to stay awake, could be a USB device, network connection etc

Control Panel -> Device Manager -> right click on the Network Controller -> Select Properties
    Click Power Management tab -> Check the "Allow computer to turn this device off to save power"

You can do this with other devices e.g. mice

oh and try this

5. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

Thanks for the reply

I did what you said but they are already selected to shut down when entering sleep mode. I disabled the wake-up for keyboard and mouse devices but that didnt help, it seems since doing that the PC doesnt enter any kind of sleep mode, the screen goes blank for a second then the login page is displayed (it does this after each wake)

what the heck is going on! its a pretty new pc