Slow Computer / Disk Usage

Discussion in 'General Software' started by crump3ts, Apr 6, 2009.

1. crump3ts

crump3ts Geek Trainee

Hi everyone, haven't been on this forum for a while... I used to have an account here, but haven't used it in years and have forgotten the password :p

Anyways, I'm having quite the bit of trouble with my computer. I had to replace the motherboard a few months back. Now my computer will slow to a crawl if I generally have more than one application open. The CPU utilization stays low, usually under 10%. The hard disk activity is just nuts though, reading and writing from the page file it appears. This translates to waiting half a god damn minute to switch from one program to another, display a menu, etc... Sometimes the mouse even slows down or freezes for f**k's sake.

The first solution I thought of was "get more RAM". However, when I check my memory usage during these slowdowns, I often have at least 1 GB that is still available... yet that damn page file is using like 3GB.

I have tried to fix this, and have had no success;
    - Scan for spyware/adware
    - Defragment all the hard disks and run window's error-check tool
    - Update Drivers, BIOS
    - Change one of my hard disks from PIO mode to Ultra DMA6 (it got stuck on PIO for some reason, but this only improved read/write speed. Page file usage is still massive.)
    - Reformat and clean install the OS (Several times...)

This can happen with any application, (it's even happened with things like media player, acrobat reader...) but I generally see it when I have 3DSMax, Photoshop, or Zbrush open at the same time. It also happens frequently with games.

My system specs are:
    CPU : Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    MB : XFX 8200 (yup, that's it. It is just named after the chipset.)
    RAM : 2GB DDR2 Dual Channel
    GPU : XFX 8600 GTX XXX
    PSU : 500 Watt
    HDD : 3X Western Digital 160GB SATAII

The computer used to have the exact same specs before I had to replace the motherboard (with the exception of the motherboard of course ;), saw the same usage, and performed flawlessly.

The only difference between my computer and any other normal computer is that it runs 3 monitors, so I was thinking there may be a driver issue or something like that. Also, I usually put it into sleep mode at night as opposed to shutting down. A clean boot doesn't fix the slow downs, anyways.

ImageShack® - Gallery
    ^ This the situation looks like most of the time when my computer is idle. I want to comment that I'm only assuming the page file usage is what causes the slowdowns. Whenever they happen, the hard disk usage just goes mad.

Any help and suggestion will be greatly appreciated :)

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Apologies that nobody's replied, but they're probably thinking the same as me: "typical Windows behavior". :( Sorry I can't be more help.

3. AdamAnderson

AdamAnderson Geek Trainee

I think You Should Use Some PC Cleaner Software ,I Personally Using TunePRO360 - pc cleaner Software .It really very helpful Software Specially for Slow Computer .
    You can download this Software from TunePRO360 website .