Sound Card

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by Goliath, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Goliath

Goliath Geek Trainee

i just put a new sound card in my computer. Creative Sound Blaster Live. but i cant hear anything from my speakers. there was no problem with the installation . the microphone works no problem. the 15 pin port works fine i hooked an old game pad on there to test it and it worked. supposably when i went to test the input and output devices. it received input from my mic and supposably it send output to my speakers but nothing comes out of them.
    what could the problem be.

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'd check if all the cables are plugged in correctly, if your speakers are turned on and if the volume is turned up, both on the speakers themselves and in windows, and through the creative software if you've installed any.

3. Goliath

Goliath Geek Trainee

the volume is on max in the speakers and in windows Live Play Control

4. Emu

Emu Geek Trainee

You are hooking up a standard miniplug (ANALOG) to the green port right?

5. Goliath

Goliath Geek Trainee

yes its in the green port

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Try installing the latest drivers

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I know this is silly, but if the speakers are powered, make sure the AC power is plugged in and the speakers are on.

8. Goliath

Goliath Geek Trainee

everything is plugged in the right place. the ac adapter is connect the speaker is on the green whole on my new sound card. my new sound card is selected on the audio properties in control panel. everything is set up there just no sound coming out of the speakers.

could the problem be that i can get any sound from my speakers because they are not supported by the card itself.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Unless there's some wierd bug going around, it should be fine. I would try the speakers on another PC (or even enable and use the onboard sound if your motherboard has it).

What speakers are you using, btw? Like I said, I really doubt there's a problem, but wierd stuff happens sometimes.

It could be that the SBLive! you got is a dud too.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

11. Goliath

Goliath Geek Trainee

well its working now. i got fed up with it so i uninstalled everything i could find with SB Live took out the card and put it in a different slot reinstalled all the software went online and downloaded all the sb upgrades. and now its working :)

thanks for your time guys

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

No problem. Creative cards, especially the Live! series, are rather picky about stuff like IRQ's, so seeing that a different slot fixed the problem isn't a surprise.

13. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

thats happened to me before with my Live! I wonder why this happens

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's due to the way the Live! cards access resources. They tend to be rather picky about the IRQ's they have, and really don't like to share.

15. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Well I've read many times that you shouldn't put any card in the first or last pci slot of your mobo because those slots share the same IRQ.

Of course you can assign IRQs manually, but in this day and age, assigning IRQs isn't exactly a skill everyone has. (I once had it, and I lost it because you usually don't need to do it anymore)

16. Goliath

Goliath Geek Trainee

my first slot is my ethernet connection. i originally put the sound card in the third slot so that it has some space from the ethernet card and the modem which is in the 5th slot. now my sound card rests in the 4nd slot and its workin fine so im happy.