Speed Issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by harrack52, Jan 12, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

My system is described in my signature.

When I run NHL 2003 I cannot run the game smoothly with the details maxed at a resolution of 1024 x 768, not even at 800 x 600. I know for a fact that this game can run very smoothly with the details maxed at 1024 x 768 on a slower system(Athlon 1600+ with 256 mb of slower memory with the same chipset : MX400 on a ASUS video card). I ran 3DMark2001SE and got a score of 820. I installed all the updates of XP, I installed the latest nvidia drivers (41.09). cpu clock is at 133 with the multiplier at 12.5, dram clock is 166. What could be the problem ?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, if you've moved to XP from, say Windows 98/ME, that can explain something right there. XP requires a bit more muscle than 98/ME in the memory department.

2nd, the newer Detonator drivers are geared toward the GeForce 4 series of cards, and can have some adverse affects speedwise on your card. I suggest trying something in the 2x.xx range--I've had no problems using the 21.81's (I don't think nVidia has them and I don't have an exact link currently---if you want them and can't find them, email me and I can send them to ya).

3rd. If you switched motherboards without doing a clean install of Windows, providing it doesn't barf on you, can slow down.

There could be a bug in the game (based on the 3dmark scores I think not), and you might need a patch to fix it.

Another possibility is that you just need to get the AGP drivers (assuming you have an AGP video card and not a PCI one) for your motherboard.

3. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

AGP drivers? Are those part of the VIA 4-in-1s?

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

To install XP I first deleted both partitions that I had then created 2 partitions. I formatted both. I installed 98. Then I installed XP right after by using the option : upgrade. So now I have only XP.
    I did this after setting up my new board.
    I do have an AGP video card, my e-mail is [email protected] I would very much like to try those 2x.xx detonator drivers is you would send them to me.
    In XP, I installed the via 4-in-1 drivers plus ite smartguardian which is irrelevant , the rest of my drivers (except the video card which are 41.09 from nvidia)come from XP.
    I do not think there's a bug from the game because it is the same copy than the one that my friend uses with his slower system.
    I do not think the memory is a problem because I used to have 512 of PC133 and now I have 256 of PC2700 which should perform better even if there's twice as less memory.
    I will try the drivers from Soltek's cd and get back to you on that.
    thanks for the help

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Big B : Do not send me the drivers I reinstalled the ones from WinXP which are 2.9.5.8, I will test them later and post another reply.

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I ran 3DMark2001SE and got a score of 2884. I then ran NHL 2003 at 1024 x 768 with the details maxed and it ran very smoothly so the problem was the drivers , I am now using winXP drivers digitally signed (2.9.5.8)

thanks for all the replies !

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I didn't scroll down all the way, so the drivers are on their way to your hotmail account. Glad to see some different drivers fixed it for ya. You can get away with using drivers that aren't digitally signed, for future reference. Many people do without incident.

In the future, you might not want to do an upgrade 98 to XP (at least that's what I gathered you did). The operating systems are based on two very different codes and can cause problems. If your system continues to function, you're fine. Just something I thought I'd pass along.