Still can't copy files to floppy disk

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by jaffacake2000, Sep 10, 2002.

1. jaffacake2000

jaffacake2000 Geek Trainee

I have this probem of where i can read/open files from my floppy disk drive but cannot write to it. I get the error message:

"Cannot copy <filename.ext> : the disk is write protected. remove the write protect or use another disk"

I am sure none of my disks are write protected and i have tried different disks

I've done the following tests:

tried another floppy drive - same problem, doesnt work
    tried a different cable - same problem, doesnt work

uninstalled the floppy drive and the controller using device manager - same problem, doesnt work

tried the floppy drive in a different computer with the original cable - and it works!

I have also just installed w2k service pack 3 and
    booted into dos with a clean boot floppy and tried copying files in dos - still same problem.

The motheboard is otherwise working perfectly and im using the pc now, the cable cant be faulty because it works in another pc, the, the floppy drive connector on the motherboard cant be bad coz i can read files from the floppy drive...

what can be wrong??

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well the floppy controller could be shot. It might be able to read, but I consider it defective if it's not allowing you to write.
    If this is on a new motherboard, look into getting it replaced as that's about the only way you'll get a working floppy drive. If it's older and out of warranty, you're basically stuck with: A.) A busted floppy port; or, B.) buying a new motherboard.

3. jaffacake2000

thanx for your help.

i will try and re-install windows to see if that helps (could be a w2k bug)

...how about flashing the bios? could that help?

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you were having this problem prior to the current installation, which it sounds like you are---I could have read it wrong--then reinstalling won't do ya any good.
    Without working floppy, it may be a bit difficult to flash BIOS. You probably could burn the stuff to CD and try that...but I'm not quite sure if that would work. Even then, this doesn't sound like something that has to do with a BIOS issue.

5. jaffacake2000

nah, didnt have the problem before the current installation, it just suddenly happend one day.

All i remember is i was working on someone elses document, which i put their disk in. It worked. I switched off the pc went to sleep, next morning...doesnt work anymore, i have this problem.

This is the only first installation i had on this computer, i had it for a year, havent done a reinstall or a format, just a defrag last month. Seems like a reinstall is the last thing i have, so i'll give it a try.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay, yeah. I try to avoid a reinstall as I've found out that hasn't been necessary to fix a particular problem, but if that's what you wanna try, go ahead. I can't think of anything else to do. If it doesn't work, we've at least eliminated a potential cause.