Storage Area Network for Rendering Farm

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by BoBBYI986, Sep 12, 2011.

1. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi All

Been along time since i've been on here, got a couple of issues I would like to resolve with you guys if possible.

I have been asked to supply a software rendering company with some new storage, they currently have around 40 rendering nodes (blade servers), which render to a NAS with 2.27tb of storage, but the previous I.T guy who setup their network has in my opinion set it up incorrectly for what they do.

They also have another NAS which they transfer the vidoes to once rendered, these files are massive around 7GB for a 7 second video.

These servers are just standard TCP/IP based servers with no nic teaming just 8 port link aggregation between the two switches they use, these guys are copying these 7GB files from server to server, they don't relise the files go through there workstation first before being written to the other server.

Anyway I was thinking of selling this company a SAN so all their data is stored in one place and there is no need for copying stuff about. I was going to give him 3 options between an ISCSI based SAN, Fibre Channel SAN and Infiband SAN.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have setup a similar system before or for a similar company
    if so what setup did you recommend? is a SAN the way forward or is there a better solution?
    if so what SAN is best value for money, ISCSI, FCoe or IBoe?

thanks for your time and any response will be greatly apreciated.