suggestions on a mouse?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DaRuSsIaMaN, May 13, 2006.

1. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Hey all, does anyone have any suggestions on a wired, optical, usb mouse which is sturdy and will last a long time? I want to get one as a present for my roommate, but he has a tendency to slam either his keyboard or mouse when he gets owned in Call of Duty lol. His current mouse already clicks quite badly and it's also a wireless which means it eats a ton of batteries, which he doesn't like. So it has to be optical and wired and usb (his ps/2 port for mouse seems to not work), and as damage-resistant as possible! Oh yeah, also something not really expensive. Any ideas? Thanks much.

2. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I have this one, lasted me about three years now lol. Yeah Im cheap. I also have a tendency to slam my mouse when loosing and it still works :)

3. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Oh I did consider that one, but one of the reviews says it's "small, sleek and lightweight." I'm worried about the small part. Is it really a bit on the small side? Can never tell with those pics. My roommate has sorta big hands, so I figure I should stay away from the smaller ones. And his current mouse isn't small either.

4. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Its no smaller than any other mouse Ive had :)

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

his mouse probably just needs cleaning, take it apart (screw(s) probably under the lable on bottom)

EDIT: what mouse is it (optical, ball inside)

6. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Naw man. If I clean it, then what else will I get him for his birthday?? lol. Besides, even if it can be made to work again, it's pretty old and worn-looking anyway...

I think I've narrowed my list down to these 3:
    Microsoft optical 3 button
    Iogear laser 6 button
    Kensington optical 5 button
    (Sorry, Nic, I decided that MS one is better than your logitech one in the 3-button range :p ... better overall reviews)

Actually I think it's more of a choice between the MS one and the Kensington one, cuz I've almost eliminated the laser iogear one. Unless anyone has a reason why the laser one might be better? Can anyone tell me what the difference is between laser and optical? Is one better for gaming? My roommate won't be interested in a mouse good for "working," only for gaming. Thanks.

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well personally i have a few MS intellimouse explorer's (4.0 USB / PS/2) but for Win9x you'll need to download version 4.21 from MS

as for the difference between optical and laser, i think it's just marketing :swear:, just go with the cheapest

i have a few cos if one dies then i've got spares for the next one that dies

EDIT: MS intellimouse explorer 4 has 5 buttons & a wheel

8. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Haha alright, thanks :)

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

MS Intellimouse Optical are pretty reliable. I have two and I've had them for years. I did get a Logitech MX518, mostly for looks, and while it's a little nicer, it's a little different than my trusty Intellimouse Optical.

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

11. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Holy crap man! Lol that's hardcore. Maybe I'll look into getting myself something like that later on. But I could never trust my roommate with something that fancy. He'd probably just spill coffee all over it or something lol.

Anyway I ended up getting him the Microsoft three-button. Sounds like it's a pretty long-lasting mouse from the reviews, so hopefully it'll be able to take those beatings when he slams it after getting killed in Call of Duty :D

I wonder if I should really shop around for a mouse for myself. I still use a ball mouse!! :eek: What's so bad about ball mice anyway? When I was reading the reviews people left when I was shopping for his, some people would say things in passing like "no one deserves to use a ball mouse these days" or "if you just want to upgrade from that crappy ball mouse, this one works". I seriously don't feel like there's anything bad about mine. I've had it forever, for like 6 years or more, no joke. It's a logitech mouseman 4 button with a large thumb button on the side and a somewhat unusual slant to it so that my palm rests slanted to the right on it rather than horizontally. And it still works perfectly fine even after all this time. Except it got clogged with dirt a couple times several months ago but on the second time I cleaned it thoroughly, and it's been flawless since. And the pointer certainly doesn't ever studder or jump around or skip or whatever I hear optical mice can sometimes do. I seem to be able to play Battlefield 1942 perfectly fine with it. My aiming seems to be alright, and I can snipe decently. So what's all this fuss about ball mice sucking so much compared to optical??

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

hi russiaman,
    it sounds like your trying to pick a fight, by saying "So what's all this fuss about ball mice sucking so much compared to optical??"

ball rodents do suck (unless you can be :swear: arsed to clean em every couple of months (dependant on your pc use)
    but i its a scrap you want "bring it on"
    if i'm wrong then sorry

my intellimouse does occasionally jump to the left of the screen when i want it to go to the right or vice versa

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I've had no problems with my nYko Mouse - I've also got an old Microsoft Optical Mouse and a Kensington track-ball as well. I only really ever use my nYko though, I used to use my MS one but haven't used either of the others since I got the Air-Flo mouse, it's freaking awesome (and keeps your hand 'fresh' in those long fragging sessions...)

14. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Hahahaha ... sure, I'll "bring it on." See, my ball mouse never jumps anywhere, unlike your silly optical. Mine always behaves as it's supposed to. What u got to say to that? Beotch! :p

15. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well my intellimouse may be jumpy, but at least i don't have to clean all the filth off those :swear: little wheels, also use sticky tape on the ball, i think were being a bit too daft, were both as bad as each other, but you've got an excuese (cos your only 18, i'm 32, so that says a lot about me, well stupid)
    anyway BIG LOL