tell me straight

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by donkey42, Nov 3, 2008.

1. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i know, i know, i should have done this ages ago, anyway, i decided to try to roll my own kernel, but i think i'm misunderstanding a few things
    • am i correct to roll my own custom kenel without building X v7.3
    • do i need to just reverse patch 2.6.27 & apply all patches in v.xx order up to 2.6.27.4

theres probably more, but that all i can remember, no doubt i'll be back with more, and finally is quilt worth using or would i be better creating my scrip to automate the patching

and where else on net should i be looking

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I don't understand the question. :confused:

No, you can just download the latest build from kernel.org, patches are included. I prefer the bz2 file, since the compression is better.

Are you running Lenny or Etch? Here's the Lenny handbook:

Debian Linux Kernel Handbook (Lenny version - WORK IN PROGRESS)

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i meant roll my own custom kernel without building X-server v7.3
    that makes things easier
    Lenny B2

4. Anti-Trend

Well, X.org and the Linux kernel really don't have much to do with one another. Why do you ask?

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

because 7.3 is the current build of X.org & it is available for download, or is it me just over complicating things as usual

cos i never do that, as you know[ot]bu11shit[/ot]

BTW: current X.org is here /pub/current/

6. Anti-Trend

Yes, definitely over-complicating. X.org is a pretty involved package, and you typically want to let your distro handle that unless you have a good reason to do otherwise.

If you want a source-based distro, look into Gentoo or SourceMage.

P.S. - Lenny currently has X.org 7.3+18... pretty current. Out of curiosity, where did you get the idea you had to rebuild X.org?

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:beer: AT, i'm good at over complicating stuff, i like the fact that i can ask stuff my way, & you or whoever answer the correct way because then i'm learning without knowing it

BTW: tried Gentoo briefly, but TBH i didn't give it much of a chance, never heard of SourceMage, i'm thinking maybe a source disto may suit me, i may start one compiling on another box when i can afford it or when i can be ars3d to put 1 together if i can find all the bits

anyway cheers AT :beer:
    Edit:
    dunno, i just figured i'd have to rebuild it & wasn't sure if it needed or wanted doing at the same time as i rolled a custom kernel, but i guess it optional on a home setup like this, but knowing me i'll probably do it for a laugh to prove i can[ot]my inner masochist coming out to say hello[/ot]

8. Anti-Trend

Well, I don't recommend it. Even if you do rebuild it -- for no benefit I can think of -- you'll end up with an older version than the one that ships with Lenny. The Debian version ships with some custom patches.

Even if for some reason you decide to break Debian by recompiling X.org, :chk: my advice is that you should do only one thing at a time. In other words, worry about the kernel first, then if you want to tackle something else, do so once you're sure your system's behaving as it should.

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:ahmen: to that[ot]LOL[/ot]

10. zeus

zeus out of date

Try the Linux from Scratch ebook. I managed it as my first linux install. I dont think they have sorted a package manager out yet. Paco does a sloppy attempt at installing .rpm You compile the whole lot. The second ebook (Beyond Linux from Scratch) discusses X.org and stuff.

Im off to have a look at SourceMage