Tfc /cs Port Forwarding Arrrghhh!!!

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Dwarfer, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

Hello I've been trying to get my router to work with my TFC game, you cannot simply setup a TFC /CS server on a router pc, apparently you use somet called port forwarding.

Well I found the site bit when i goto 192.168.1.1 thing wot ever, but how the heck do I do it? I've read and read all different sites, but no luck.

Can somebody please tell me stepbystep how to use port forwarding for my TFC server, I want to use my PC primary-connected to the router.

Thanks

2. Addis

Addis The King

Step by step is not possibly because it all depends on your router and what application you want to run as a server.

I don't know what TFC is, so youll have to research the port the application needs.

Basically, with port forwarding you need to open a port in your router's settings to allow incoming connection requests to go to your PC, instead of being blocked.

In this following example, I'm going to use Unreal Tournament 2004 as the application.

UT2k4 uses port 7777 to host network games. However, if its behind a router no one can connect to it. To do this we need to access the router's configuration settings and allow port 7777 requests to be forwarded to my PC's ip address.

First thing, we need some basic network information. Do start>run and type "cmd" without quotes. You'll have a DOS screen where you can type more commands. After doing this type:
    Code:
    ipconfig /all
    Find the information associated with your network connection. For this we'll need IP address and Default gateway IP address. Note these values down.

Now go to your web browser, and type in the default gateway IP you got form the previous stage. Hit enter and you shuold be asked for a username. If you have changed the router's username/password since you bought it then enter these in. Otherwise, you'll need to look on the bottom of the router itself and find the default access information. E.g. username: admin password: password

Once you've got access into the router's configuration stage, you'll need to find the port forwarding option. ONce you've found it, try to find a button like "Add new custom service" or similar. If its the right option, you'll be asked for the following:
    • Port beginning range:
    • Port end range:
    • Server IP:
    • sometimes also it asks whether you want it as TCP or UDP. Answer TCP here.
    The "port beginning range" and "port end range" are used incase you want to open up a series of consecutive ports, like 8010, 8011, 8012 etc etc. If you only have one port to open, e.g. in our case port 7777, then just put the same port into both boxes.

The "Server IP" should have your computer's own IP address, which you got from the ipconfig /all command.

Make sure that the service is enabled if there is an option to enable it. Then click OK/Apply, and make sure all settings have been correctly applied.

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

thanks for help but still not workin, looking on the netgear website (of wot my router is) it shows you all about it, but there is no option to put your own port numbers in, it's stupid!

It allows you to put start and end IP in but not a manual port number, just chooses from a list, I clicked ALLOW ALL PORTS but still didnt work, and in cmd i couldnt find the IP address, the only one was IPv4 Address: 192.168.0.2

I ran the dedicated server (server program for TFC) I tried 3 different IPs on the game itself to try connect to it, but couldnt find the server :swear:

4. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

You have to make a Custom Service for that. Since you have a netgear router, it should be something like this.
    ImageShack - Hosting :: netgearsvc0sj.png

5. Addis

Addis The King

Its likely that you've missed the custom service option. Take a look at my screenshot as well:
    [​IMG]

6. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

Thanks for advice, the port is 27017 or 27015 ill have to check it out when i get home, do i just put the port number in that thing with my pc local IP address, sorry im really not experienced with this.

7. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

8. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

Hi guys Im really sorry for my dumbness, i've tried everyting you told me, see list below

1. successfully added the port range 27000 - 28000
    2. Set up the inbound and outbound ips for port forwarding, (do i only need to use one of these bounds?)

in the half life game i try to search for IP addresses from WhatIsMyIP.com - 207.58.180.17 and the two IP addresses the tfc dedicated server shows me, but none seem to detect the dedicated server.

port forwarding is one of the difficult network things i've ever had to endever :swear:

9. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

ok, are you trying to connect to the server within your local network?? Or from another internet connection? If it only local, just use your local ip address, ie 192.168.0.5:27015. If you are trying to connect from external, use the 207.58.180.17:27015.

And also, you might have some software firewall blocking those ports.

10. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

hey guys thank for help i really appreachate it. the reason im using all ip addresses is to try see if others can view the server too, i can see it with my local ip, but not with the external, im using the standard windows firewall, which ill try disable

When I try to search for the server using my external IP from "WHAT IS MY IP .COM" it doesn't show up, is this because I need to try it using a completely different pc?

The firewall im using is the windows one coz i cant get norton to work in vista p.o.s., so ill disable the windows firewall and try again using the external IP from what www. whatismyip .com is telling me.

Failing that I don't think I'm cut out for port forwarding :(

11. Addis

Addis The King

Don't give up on it, it's likely that its just something misconfigured.

If on a local, internal network you can see the server fine, but can't from the internet then its something wrong with port forwarding.

Can you post a screenshot of the screen where you filled in the port forwarding details please. I still don't quite understand exactly how you've configured it.

12. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

hi ive uploaded my screenshots onto here but it says "file in progress" or something so im gona have to explain it,

in my port forwarding settings it gives me two options, INBOUND and OUTBOUND, in both of them I have the port number range from 27000 - 28000 (tfc port is 27015) and "lan users" and "wan users" are set to ANY same thing with outbound.

I've disabled the firewall I still cannot see the server, I get the IP from www. whatismyip .com

13. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

check your port here if its really open.

If its open that means your port forwarding is ok.

14. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

Error: I could not see your service on 86.130.88.43 on port (27015)
    Reason: Connection refused :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

15. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

hmmm... weird.... maybe its your OS, Vista right, i havent used that as a game server. Why dont you try win 2000 or xp pro.

16. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

ok thanks for advice ill try next week, cant do it now coz all me setup software is on me laptop which is buggered up i bought a laptop ide converter from amazon for now:

http://www.hardwareforums.com/laptop-coffee-splash-12399/#post79284

17. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

Im back on XP Home, Dammit I did the same thing but its still not working :swear:

I have a clean install of windows, so dont have a firewall, however something strange has happened, my local IP address has changed to 192.168.0.TWO when it was THREE.

One thing,however, that might make you supprised and know why its not working, in the service where I choose the port numbers I get the option for either TCP or UDP, Im choosing to use both TCP/UDP AT THE SAME TIME options, im not sure if this is correct.

I changed the port forwarding IP to forward wotever it should forward to 192.168.0.2 and loaded that port test website, still same error dammit this is really stupid :mad: :mad:

18. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest