The Perpetual Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Big B, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Basically, all this thread is for is just to post what you're looking at upgrading to. Doesn't have to happen, as this is kinda for the most wild upgrades (I'm getting a Cray, d00d!) etc., but it's for more tangible upgrades you're looking at for the most part.

This is not a help thread, and posts asking for help will be deleted.

I'll start...

What I'm looking at for my next upgrade:

DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    Athlon 64 3000+ (Winchester core)
    1GB PQI PC3500 (2x 512MB)
    Chaintech GeForce 6600GT 128MB
    Thermaltake 420W Silent PurePower
    Thermalright SP-90

I got a few things I want to pay off first, but if things go my way, I should be able to rebuild the core of my system pretty easily. I'm also waiting for dual-core chips to hit as well, as that's got me excited.

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Realistically i won't be building a new system or upgrading for sometime to come as i'm going abroad for 6 months.

I'm currently using a laptop which is more than powerful enough for applications, coding e.t.c - and i've got 4xPentium 4 3.0Ghz 800Fsb 1MB Cache 256MB DDR2 (only used by me ;) ) so i think i've got enough for the mean time :D

When i get back (in september, if i some how get some cash - very unlikely i'll build myself a similiar system to what i had - basically what BigB has listed).

:)

AMD64 3200+
    Nforce 4 Mobo
    512MB/1GB Dual Channel 2-2-2-5 1T memory
    raid set of 80Gb drives
    6600GT

I'm almost certain that i won't have a system like this in 7-9 months time, as i wont be working - i'll be back at College and i've got a car to run and bills to pay :(

3. MrChris

MrChris Geek Trainee

i hope to get a totally new computer and so far (with the help of some of you guys) i have come up with this setup

AMD 64 3500+ skt 939 winchester core
    MSI K8N Diamond motherboard nforce 4 sli chipset
    120 GB Western Digital Caviar 8MB Cache 7200rpm
    1024mb DDR400 PC3200 RAM
    BFG GeForce 6600GT OC 128MB PCI-EXPRESS
    Jeantech Phong ATX case
    ThermalTake 480W PurePower(Silver) Silent PSU
    Asus DVD drive (and of course the floppy drive)

what do you all think of this, any suggestions?
    Plus i have two further questions:
    I have recently read a review of the 128Mb Gainward PowerPack Ultra/1960PCX 6600GT (PCI-Express) XP Golden Sample GLH is this a better card than the BFG?
    If i had two of either Graphics cards in sli would i need a new graphics card??

4. Addis

Addis The King

I wouldn't bother using SLI at the moment, for some it was a bit buggy and its just too expensive to buy both cards.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Addis is right but in many ways SLI can be somewhat economic. It's a pricey mobo but you could buy one good video card to start, and when you get the cash you can buy the exact same card, except it's cheaper now and you've just given yourself a major performance boost for less. The big problem is depending on when you buy the second card new, easily faster cards with all new features may be out and you'll but using yesterdays technology but it's a case by case thing I guess. Great setup though MrChris!
    Anyway here's what I need besides what I've got (see "my computer", ProcalX will already have seen this):
    1 gig of Dual Channel PC3200 GSkill memory
    some soundcard using VIA Envy (still not entirly sure yet)
    Samsung SyncMaster 19'' CRT
    Logitech 5.1 speakers (although 2.1 will fit a whole lot better)

In the rather distant future I want a 'card with at least 256MB's of memory and what ever AMD comes up with in my low pricerange in about 6-10 months.

6. Addis

Addis The King

Thats true. But I'd rather get one good performance card now, and upgrade like normal, than having to buy 2 cards. Just look at the 3dfx Voodoo2 cards that were in SLI. Sure they performed great, but was it worth the money spent on it now? I think SLI's is the rich boy's alternative or hard hardcore gamers who always have latest technology.
    Anyway, shouldn't one GF6600 or 6800 be enough for now?

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Any NV40-based card has awesome performance with next-generation rendering capabilities that are still not used to their full potential. I've never seen a 6800 taxed, except on 3DMark 2k5. But never on existing games. And we won't even talk about the 6800GT :) They're very nice cards either in an SLI our without. Why not just buy an SLI-capable board, and use a single PCIE 6800? Later if you need to double your rendering power, you could always slap another 6800 in there and SLI 'em.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, if you don't see me much over the next few days, I think the attached pic explains why... :chk:

Attached Files:

9. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

sweeeeeet.....

can't tell what gfx card that is, assuming thats what it is in the light blue box?
    looks like a 6800GT?!
    have fun!

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Nothing makes me happier than getting shiney new components! I envy you Big B, enjoy dude.

FEC_80 likes this.
  11. Fred

Fred Moderator

Like most of you, i dont really have any money to upgrade.. and besides that, i dont really feel much of a need to upgrade my current system. But the only immediate thing that I've been thinking of is a DVD burner, which i dont have. Probably just a $60 lite-on burner, but that's all I need. I've also considered adding another gig of the RAM that i currently have, but that is definetly even further in the future, if i'd do it at all. Pretty much would be a waste anyways. But yeah, overall i am actually very happy with my system. And like AT said, with a 6800gt, i have virtually NO problems with games.

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

6600GT actually. It's an eVGA, but for the price, it's hard to go wrong. I got rid of some bills finally, and I figured this'd be a decent A64 setup with some nice upgrade room. I figured it'd be worth the money to get the Enermax EG565 VE FMA for the high amps.

Here's what I got:

-DFI NF4 Lanparty UT Ultra-D
    -Athlon 64 3000+ retail, Winchester core
    -512MB PC3200 Patriot PDP PC3200+XBL
    -Enermax EG565 VE FMA SLI ready 535W PSU
    -eVGA GeForce 6600GT PCIe

13. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I got an abit nf7-s motherboard. After I get some new ram, my PC will be complete. I will do no more upgrades on it.

congrats on the stuff B

14. Fred

Fred Moderator

Awesome! Good for you, B!

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's supposed to be an excellent nForce 2 motherboard, especially for overclocking. You should have some fun with that one...that and school's probably out for you in a month or so (just a guess), so more computer tweaking.

16. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

It's been pretty good, the thing is a beast in size it takes up my whole motherboard tray!

17. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

congrats on the new system B! I might not upgrade for quite a while yet :) F@H would give you loads of points.

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Nice choices BB, that proc won't let you down, me and Waffles know...

19. go_raiden

go_raiden Geek Trainee

Upgrading is fun isn't it? Here's my new components.

2 x (323275) Chaintech SE6600G GeForce 6600 GT PCI Express 128MB DDR3 Video
    Card w/HDTV-Out & DVI Retail ***Free 2nd Day*** @ $169.99

1 x (270402) Enermax EG565P-VE FMA 535W Power Supply Retail ***Free 2nd
    Day*** @ $93.99

1 x (246494) DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR nForce4 SLI Athlon 64(FX)/Sempron
    Skt939 DDR Motherboard w/Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail ***Free
    2nd Day*** @ $185.00

1 x (80699-2) AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor Socket 939 Retail ***Free 2nd
    Day*** @ $146.00

I went with the dual video card SLI setup. This blows away even a single 6800U. I also got free shipping for all my parts at zipzoomfly. They are pretty good pricewise and the free shipping I love.

Oh and I've got 1 GB of Patriot 2-2-2-5 memory too. But I had that before I ordered the other upgrade parts. I'm planning to OC the hell out of the Athlon 3000+ :)

20. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

welcome go_raiden

thats going to be a beast for gaming man, nice choice of parts!