The Windows Crash Thread

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Anti-Trend, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I'll start things out. The attached screenshot is from a newish laptop with kosher hardware, running XP Pro SP2 and a very fresh corporate image of Windows. I didn't even get to use it for 10 minutes before the first crash. :(

Attached Files:

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Is that a crash when you end up restarting the computer, if so, i have never had one, only ever had app crashes which are very rare now.

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Just the image of XP makes me cringe now, I physically hate it and will only boot it as I haven't installed my games in Linux yet.

4. Willz

i am moving to mandriva 2007 hopefully, only if the ATi drivers are pre installed, which i think they will since it comes installed with flatout.

5. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

These days I only run Windows XP in VMware, where it can't cause any damage to the rest of my computer. Windows XP needs to be controlled, contained and disinfected. The only reason I run it at all is for my Microsoft exams.

*Wonders why I didn't take up a Red Hat exam instread.....*

Perhaps you should download SLED10, or SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10. The download is free from Novell's website, but you have to pay for it to continue receiving updates past 2 months. SLED comes with ATi drives built in and 3D desktop effects at the click of a button.

6. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah, i got a blue screen of death from running word once, i laughed. That said, windows got real unstable after that or should say buggy, its dumb.

7. Willz

I got blue screen of death from mcafee antivirus and my adsl modem once :D

8. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

yea...I also hate it when it crashes without any good reason....

[ot]I have got a confusion in my mind....when that laptop was hang, how did u took that screen shot? Did u use a camera for it?[/ot]

9. Anti-Trend

RDP. I took a screenshot of the window. Incidentally, I was in the process of setting up the laptop for a lab exercise.

10. Willz

11. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I think "remote desktop protocol"...?

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I had a few BSOD's, but that was more due to some overclocking...I can't easily get a screen cap of a BSOD.

13. Addis

Addis The King

I've experienced some really funny crashes (well at least they would be if it wasn't my computer). Shame its difficult to take a screenshot.

14. edijs

edijs Programmer

I used to get BSODs and sudden restarts as well. But they were not because of Windows XP miserably failing (!), no (because now it works fine). They occoured because:

1. As we all know, GeForces have a special relationship with ViA chipsets (ie nvdisp4.dll or something like that). I had to disable the "FastWrite" option in BIOS to get rid of those BSODs

2. My DDR400 was running @ 400MHz, which would be normal, right? But I had to put it down to 333MHz to get rid of those sudden restarts.

P.S. has the "FastWrite" function any serious effect on the video cards overall performance?

P.S.S. why does my computer restart when I have my RAM running at 400MHz? I mean I have a FSB at 533MHz. Where's the goddamn problem?

P.S.S.S. of course, regular updates, defrags, registry cleanings and virus-huntings play their part as well.

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Pentium 4's use a quad-pumped FSB. The use a base frequency of 133MHz which is where you also get your CPU speed from. If you didn't have it set asynchronously (something like 5:4, FSB : DRAM) then that could cause a problem. Fastwrites---yeah, those were a known issue.

16. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

[ot]
    That's the VIA magic for you..... Guaranteed to :swear: you off, or your money back! :D

Sorry Addis, couldn't resist that one ;) [/ot]

17. Anti-Trend

I have a VIA chipset and an NVidia video card with fastwrites enabled. The system is even overclocked and I don't have any stability problems at all. In fact, currently my desktop has been up for 44 days consecutively. And believe me, my hardware is nothing special.
    It's normal for PC3200, but some other types of DDR might not be able to be clocked that high. Also, timings, voltage, etc are all factors.
    No, it's usually only around a 5% increase in performance. On my system, it's even less than that; around 1-2% increase.
    It also helps to not have a registry at all, nor need to defrag or hunt for viruses. :p

18. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

10 minutes?

How about this - We recently had a big upgrade of laptops from Compaq Evo P4 to Dell D620 Centrino Duo-Core. I was so excited.
    The first laptop, fresh out of the image loading clinic, booted, loaded windows and froze. Had to be rebuilt..... Windows..... pffffffffff, hehe :doh:

19. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

HA HA HA, thats really funny, cause it sounds like you made all that stuff up, but really its true, lol, i'm going to show this to some one.

20. Anti-Trend

"Hahaha, that's really funny, he knows a lot about PC hardware! LOLZ!" ...dude, did you notice you were on a site called Hardwareforums.com? :p