This is gonna be long !

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by harrack52, Sep 4, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

This is gonna' be a long semester !

In one course, I'm learning the difference between a ps/2 connector and a cpu socket........

In another, I'm learning how to complicate my life by making tables in Word instead of using Excel like normal people do.......

My other 2 courses are good though since they are mathematics and Java.

Today, I had to identify the different connectors and cards inside a pc. The board was a AL440LX. This is a slot 1 pII board !!
    The heatsink on that cpu is huge, I had actually never seen a slot 1 board before my eyes before (before before...), so that was good but what was bad was those two ISA slots on the right hand side (they don't look good, even after years of seperation :p).

The teacher doesn't seem to be aware that DDR RAM exists, or that there is more than 32kb of cache on cpus.

So basically, this is gonna be one long semester.

How about you guys ?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

L1 cache is pretty small, and isn't usually larger than 32kB from the CPU's I've been familiar with. 32kB total, umm no. The P2 has like 256kB or 512kB, depending on if it's full speed or half-speed cache. Do yourself a favor and don't get too cocky about the stuff. If you're like me, you won't study, since you know it all or most and then bomb out. Basic classes in computing suck tho, no question.

Far as classes go, I've only got one, but I kinda need to work full time to pay the bills.

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Yeah that's the prob... you think you know everything but there's always some little things you don't know. And the hard part is being awake when those little things are being explained.

I also hate working in teams since usually, the guy next to me doesn't know what he's doing so it takes much more time than if I was doing everything alone.

Don't get me wrong, there was a time when I didn't know anything and there's nothing wrong with that. But there's a difference between willing to help others like on this forum, which is fun, and willing to get things done and get the hell out !
    Sometimes it takes so much time that I prefer to let wrong answers on the sheet so I can just get out, plain and simple.

I also do not want to argue the teacher on his explanations but sometimes it's hard not to do so. The hard part is accepting that he will not talk about AMD as much as he will talk about Intel :p

And I'm positive we will not hear about: dual channel, DDR memory, Athlon64, even RDRAM, decent cooling, types of cores, etc.

But hey, I'll have to go through it, so might as well do it right.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's that type of class that should be an easy A at least.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Well we don't use letters in cegep over here, only in university.

So it'll be an easy 100% :D
    ...or close to that.