Torvalds critical of new GPL draft

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by megamaced, Jul 29, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

The second draft of a revised General Public License has been released, but Linus Torvalds--founder and leader of the best-known software project governed by the GPL--remains unconvinced of its merits.

Torvalds' concern is with the clause in the GPLv3 second draft regarding digital rights management (DRM) technology, which puts controls on how computers can run software or supply content such as movies or music

More at C|NET

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Lets say I'm a end user, i want too add my own features onto something i have bought.

I have the source code, released under the GPL, so i have the right to make my own version... but i might as well write it on paper as i wont be able to run it on the hardware that i PAID for and that i OWN, how is that fair?

If your modifying the source code and re-flashing/re-writing the storage on the device you obviously know enough to know there's a change it wont work! (and not to bother customer support because they will tell you its your fault!)

As great as he is, he can still be wrong

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I agree with Impotence. If the code won't run on your hardware if it's modified, what good is the fact that it's open-source?

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

There's some limitations to 'free' software, and while Torvalds can have his opinion, having no standardization will hurt the OS.

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

GPL2 is a great license, which is why Linus agreed to license Linux under its terms. But GPL3 does have some distinct advantages to the effect of keeping the code open in a practical way. Other developers will adopt the GPLv3 if it suits their goals, and some will stick with GPLv2. We'll just have to wait and see how this all pans out, but I don't think it's all doom and gloom just yet. :)