Touch screen panel + USB controller - send generic (x,y) data to PC

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by vEjEsE, Jun 25, 2014.

1. vEjEsE

vEjEsE Geek Trainee

I'm wondering how impossible it can be to connect a touch panel (with USB controller) to a PC for it to send X,Y coordinates when an event happens (the panel is touched).

After searching the web for an entire day I couldn't find more then pieces of information that don't tell the whole story.
    Most of what I understood so for is that I can buy some touch panel development kit (ebay), create some basic C code that acts like a driver and then use those C functions to handle input on the device in other applications.

Question is, is the touch panel + USB controller + C code enough in order to use the input on the touch panel in other application that I'll build myself (in C++ or other languages)? And what exactly would be the C code?
    (I don't want to use the touch panel as a mouse, but independent. It only should provide coords when a touch event happend thru a function call - which would probably be part of the C code mentioned earlier)

An answer like "Buy this [touch panel] and [microcontroller], write this C code [ code ], compile it with g++, run the build and use the [getCoord()] function whenever the [touchHappened()] function returns true" would be too nice to be true?

A multi touch panel would be better (if not too expensive).
    Also, all this on Linux.

Thank you.