Touchpad driver problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by David4321, Jan 7, 2010.

1. David4321

David4321 Geek Trainee

I have a gateway laptop with synaptics touchpad. I'm running Vista.

Recently I noticed the sensitivity of the touchpad has changed and needs adjustment. I used to have settings for it in the system tray, but now the icon is gone.

When I checked the device manager, the touchpad is not there, rather only a driver for a ps2 compatible mouse.

Synaptics website mentions this problem, and tells me to uninstall the ps2 driver, and install the current synaptics driver. (that's the extent of their available support)

Here's the problem: I can uninstall the ps2 driver, but then a restart is required. As soon as system restarts, the same ps2 driver is reinstalled automatically, before I have a chance to do anything else.

When I try to install the updated synaptics driver, the install does not complete, probably because of the conflict.

I have a wireless mouse I use sometimes, but I can't remember the last time I plugged in a ps2 mouse. The wireless mouse is unplugged during these operations.

Strangely, at all times, before, during, and after the driver changes - the touchpad is functioning. It never goes completely dead - even after removing the ps2 driver and restarting. However, it really needs adjustment, which I used to be able to do from the system tray - as well as access advanced options. All this is now unavailable. Touchpad is also missing from the mouse settings in control panel - just no settings or listings of the touchpad device at all.

This is important because I do a lot of delicate photoshop work, and this is much harder since I lost my adjustments.

Any suggestions? Thanks very much!