Trashing my computer vs. new video card

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by howardbobo5, Oct 30, 2005.

1. howardbobo5

howardbobo5 Geek Trainee

I posted an earlier thread about my computer not running certain games and I was told based on my system specs I need a whole new system. Where should I start to build a decent system that I can game on. I will appreciate any suggestions.

2. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

well first you need to get a basic idea of how much you want to spend.

3. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

what thread was this?
    put all your specs in the my computer section in the user cp or in your signature, that way we dont have to backtrack to find out your specs.

4. howardbobo5

howardbobo5 Geek Trainee

As little as possible, but I'd say between 600.00 and 1,000 dollars.

5. Willz

hmm thats about £562, could build a budget system from scratch for about that, i have a good system specs pinned up on my wall that cost about £616, and thats including
    6600gt
    AMD 63 3500+
    512mb PERFORMANCE RAM
    450W psu (ANTEC)
    good SLI motherboard

so you could build a good systme for that price, maybe a little bit of a struggle, but i took that form uk pricees which are a rip off compared ot us prices, so what are you wanting the rig for?
    hmm, what games are you wanitng to play on it?

6. howardbobo5

howardbobo5 Geek Trainee

Will I be able to run most games with a system like this. I can only run certain games with the system I have now.

7. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

do you need a monitor or OS, etc or do you want to spend that much on the PC itself

8. Willz

lets put it this way, are you wanting to build a system form scratch, eg new hard drives's, cd roms, dvd rw's, cables, and case, of just the main things like cpu, ram motherboard and graphics?

9. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

Heres what im thinking if you already have an OS and Monitor
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ $155
    MoBo: Asus A8N-E $115
    Mem: 1GB Crucial Ballistix CAS 2-2-2-6 $120
    GPU: Saphhire Radeon x800 GTO FireBlade(factory Oclock software) $203 or for another $100 PowerColor X850 XT
    HD: WD 160GB SATA 84
    OD: NEC Dual Layer DVD Burner 40
    PSU: Antec SP. 2.0 500 watt 70
    Case: what ever you want
    so that plus a case is $787($887 with x850) from new + S&H
    if you need an OS ad $92 for windows xp home oem.
    shipping will be about $40 give or take
    the x850 will run all games on max settings and high resolutions.

10. howardbobo5

howardbobo5 Geek Trainee

Where is the best place to buy computer stuff, Can I use the windows XP disc that game with my other gateway computer or do I have to buy a new one...

11. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

and to cut corners you could down grade to x800 GT or 6600GT, get a MoBo with nforce 4 instead of the ultra chipset, get only 512MB of ram, plain DVD player, CD burner, lower wattage PSU, etc

12. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

newegg.com is the best U.S retailer in my opinion, and alot of other people too.
    and im not a 100% sure about the XP thing, i would suggest calling Microsft, but i think you might need a new. one

ill post the links to those parts.

13. Willz

even i dont live in the us, and havent bought form newegg, but even i would say its the best online computer shop out there.

you ahve a much better chance of building a decent computer for less at newegg :)

14. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

15. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Vendor suggestions / Don't junk that old system!

You're in the US, so I recommend http://www.newegg.com ... great prices, excellent customer service. There's also http://www.zipzoomfly.com which also has some really good deals, although the customer service is second best to newegg.

As far as Windows goes, as long as you're not running the same copy on multiple systems you're in the clear. But your old Pentium3 isn't worthless, so don't throw it away! You can still do many things with it, and you can even do it with a free operating system. You could turn it into a high-end firewall, a file & print or web server, or even make it a second workstation that will be immune to virii. Or if you find that you want Windows on both PCs, Windows 2000 is better than XP and cheaper. You can get it here.

16. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

Heres what im looking at from seeing his first specs and the way he worded his question tells me that he doesnt play any really intense games

old specs: http://www.hardwareforums.com/decent-video-card-8517/

Processor: Sempron 64 3100 socket 754 -athlon 64 3200+ socket 939
    Mobo:MSI- ECS 755 A2 mobo or ECS 760GX-M
    Memory:1 gb memory pc3200
    Video card:Geforce 6600-X800gt check newegg they may still have a deal where you get Battlefield 2 with the purchase of a Geforce 6800 or 7800 gt i think.)
    Case: personal preference
    HD: any name band except Mator, preferbly Seagate 100gb-120gb
    Optical drive: NEC black DVD-RW drive
    Floppy: sony or samsung
    PSU: 450-520watt thermaltake

17. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

as for that rebate i showed you, it ends today, and the $100 rebate requires that you also purchase another cross fire edition x850 addition GPU in addition to that x850 so disregard that item.

18. Willz

if he does play game then this is what i think, for a full system
    AMD 64 3500+ Good overclockers, better than 3700+, extreamly good for there money too.
    Asus A8N-SLi nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-101-AS)
    1gb pc3200 ddr 400, prefrebly performance from corsair, ocz, GeIL, but due to your budget, you may have ot settle for value ram, but form a well known brand like borsair.
    for the video card, somthing like a 6600gt, or x800gto2 (alot of people say the X800GTO2 is a 100% succesfull mod into an X850XT PE, and there is an official guide on how to unlock the extra 4 pipelines of it so it has 16, and there very overclockable)for hard drive, at least 160gb, never get maxtor, seems like they have bad reputation, get either seagate as kenshinx said, or get western digital, i have a wester digital, and it runs like a dream.
    i dont think you will need anyhting like a floppy disk drive, as there dead and burried now.
    for power supply, i would reccomend somthing like a 450-500w psu from a well known brand like akasa, tagen (matt555 has one, maybe he can give you some info on it), seasonic<< they are amongst the bes ton the market i think, thread in the forums somewere, seasonic were top of any, with over %90 stability.

19. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

well sea sonics are some of the best around, but they also come at a very heafty price, and the x800 GTO2s cost about $270, there price was recently raised i think. And the SLI MoBo would be a rather wise upgrade if in the future you ever want a dual GPU system(as of now crossfire is very limited, and not quite as good as SLI so i wouldnt bother with it till it becomes more readily available.), and it will cost $133 from newegg.

20. Willz

430w seasonic for £64, thats 113 us dollars, i think thats pretty cheap, it may only be 430w, but its seasonic (rock solid reliability)
    and i think that it will be cheaper in the us.

also, GTO2'S are crossfire enabled, on noticed that today, so imagine the power of 2 GTO'S *drools*, almost like 1 x1800xl in some tests i bet.