tv tuner software for Kubuntu (KDE)

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by RHochstenbach, Mar 22, 2007.

1. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I've got a Pinnacle PCTV 110i pro tv tuner. I'm looking for some software to watch tv on Kubuntu. The cable signal in my country doesn't have channels, so I'll need to enter frequencies (Mhz). The tv tuner also has a remote controller. If that can be used, I would be very happy (but isn't required). Does anyone know such a program? (I've heard of Ktv, but I can't find it anywhere).

2. Addis

Addis The King

I think you can use Kaffeine to watch TV using the tuner, but I don't have a TV tuner myself.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

is this what your looking for ?

4. RHochstenbach

No, I need a program like ChrisTV or Pinnacle PCTV for linux.
    Like Addis said, I tried Kaffeine. But it can only play media files (no tv signals).

5. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

Maybe try 'tvtime'. It is specifically designed to be a tv viewer only. It should work with frequencies too.

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Also, you can always search through your packages for a specific string. In a Debian-based distro like Kubuntu,
    Code:
    apt-cache search tv
    would give you a list of all the packages which mention the string "TV".

7. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Kaffeine will automatically detect your TV card if it is supported under Linux. Kubuntu detected my Hauppauge DVB tuner at installation so I didn't have to set anything up under Kaffeine except the channels. Kaffeine has an auto scan feature so it will find any analog or digital signals in your area.
    If Kaffeine hasn't detected your TV tuner, you may be in for a hard time trying to get it to work with Linux. However you might find that a different distribution will install it automatically. For example, Mandriva didn't set up my TV card for me, but openSUSE and Kubuntu did. I guess you'll have to look around a bit.

An alternative option to Kaffeine would be MythTV, it's a complete home digital media center. Windows Media Center has nothing on it :) However it's not that easy to set up!

8. RHochstenbach

Thanks for all the information! I think I should try a different distribution, because the tv tuner is not present in the hardware-list.

9. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Perhaps you should try KnoppMyth. It's a distribution based on Knoppix and optimised for live tv streaming. It comes pre-installed with MythTV and aims to make the set up as trivial as possible.

If your TV card doesn't work in KnoppMyth, I don't know what will!

10. RHochstenbach

I got that card working in the past on Suse 10.2 and Mandriva powerpack 2007. :D