Two routers connected, sharing internet?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by bobfred, Jun 9, 2011.

1. bobfred

bobfred Geek Trainee

So, I'm interested in buying either a NAS or a wireless printer. The reason for the "or" is because the NAS I'm interested in also acts as a print server (and I'm mostly interested in the network printing at the moment, but having a NAS would be kind of nice -- you know for family photos, home videos, bills or personal documents, etc). The issue is this:

I have a modem connected to a wireless router, and the location of the wireless router is in such a place as to make it inconvenient to hook up the printer to the NAS to the router (not enough physical space).

So.... is it possible to have a *second* wireless router, somewhere in the house, receiving DHCP from the first router and handing off DHCP to the NAS so that it remains connected to the network? Or is there another / cheaper solution to this? (Like a wireless switch or something?)

Many thanks in advance!

2. violetblueskies

violetblueskies Big Geek

you could just run a cat5 wire from your router to your NAS/printer. this would be the cheapest solution.
    otherwise you would have to buy another wireless device (router, switch, access point) to connect the NAS/printer to and access separately.
    this would probably be more complicated and costly. i would say stick with the cat5 wire.

Sniper likes this.
  3. bobfred

bobfred Geek Trainee

Hmm... I definitely do like the idea of CatV for speed and cost, though running it all that far would probably be unsightly (we are in an apartment and aren't able to do things like tear up the rug....)

4. violetblueskies

violetblueskies Big Geek

you don't have to run cable inside the walls.
    i have run cable on the outside of the walls using a staple gun.
    if you have white walls like me, you can get white cables to blend in.
    i've used the grey before and run them along the edges of the corners.
    for cat 5 your limit is 250ft so if thats too short then thats a huge apartment.
    if im not mistaken, i think you can buy a custom length of cat5 cable from home depot.
    all you would need is rj45 crimpers, the plastic ends, and the staple gun.

5. bobfred

bobfred Geek Trainee

OK. I think you have me convinced. I may pursue that option. Thanks, violetblueskies. :

6. violetblueskies

violetblueskies Big Geek

definitely consider the speed advantage over wireless.
    if any of your computers are hard-wired to the router this would even be more advantageous.
    if you are unsure about anything you can ask.
    about the only thing that you need to know is the wire schematics to crimp to the plastic end.
    they have this schematic all over the internet. other than that, it should be easy project.

7. bobfred

bobfred Geek Trainee

Oh yeah, I've crimped CatV's before (it's been a while), but I think I still have my crimpers... Thanks :)

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, if using 2 routers, make sure only 1 DHCP server is enabled