two sound cards in windows xp

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by cdrobsonjr, Dec 25, 2007.

1. cdrobsonjr

cdrobsonjr Geek Trainee

My motherboard has a built-in sound hardware which I want to continue to use for my desktop speakers while seated at my computer, however,

I have purchased a Creative X-MOD Wireless system to broadcast my computers sound output to remote speakers for listening to music, etc.

I can only find though the device manager a drop-down that will let me select as "default" either the built-in sound drivers or the new X-Mod system.

From this, I am left to wonder whether or not XP will support playing sound through two sound systems at the same time. I can figure out how to have one provide sound input and the other provide sound output - there are separate drop-down selection boxes for the separate functions of input and output. But because they are drop-down controls, I do not see how both sound driver options could be enabled simultaneously.

Anybody have any knowledge and experience with doing this?

BTW, the Creative X-Mod plugs into the USB interface of the computer, and as I said, the motherboard sound 'card' is the other. They both show up in the device manager as active and working properly - and I can switch between them. If I do not plug the X-Mod into the system via the USB cable, the motherboard system works fine. But as soon as I plug in the USB cable from the X-Mod and XP recognizes it, it turns off the motherboard's card and all sound now goes through the X-Mod.

Please tell me I can make both work at the same time.

Thanks,
    Doug

2. mchaggis211

mchaggis211 Geek Trainee

WinXP support output to 2 snd devices simultaneously?

i am having a simaliar problem with my usb headphones(logitech 350). Whenever i plug them in
    the motherboard soundcard stops playing, if there is a way to use both that would be great

3. cdrobsonjr

cdrobsonjr Geek Trainee

WinXP support output to 2 snd devices simultaneously?

Well, I have been unsuccessful finding the solution myself and as you can see, nobody here has offered a fix either.

Looks like Microsoft did not foresee this and provide for multiple sound card outputs.
    Way to go Bill and company.:mad:

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I'm sure you can, its all to do with the software you use. e.g. Winamp should allow you to select the sound card you want to use for playback, allowing you to use the other soundcard for something else.

5. cdrobsonjr

cdrobsonjr Geek Trainee

I'm sorry, but you seem to have totally missed the point of my post.

I am wanting to play sound through two sound interfaces simultaneously.

I already know how to record from one and play back on a second. That is not what I need.

I need to have the same media source playing simultaneously through two interfaces, one is a soundcard built into the motherboard and the other is external via a USB interface.
    I want them both able to play sound from the same source, say an audio CD, for instance, or
    streaming audio from a web browser for another source example. Two different sound interfaces playing the same audio source at the same time.

Hopefully I've made it clear now.

Thanks

6. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Indeed I did, one possible solutions is to have the output from one sound card going into the other, then maybe the output will be that of from sound card one?

I found this Virtual Audio Cable Home Page "Virtual Audio Cable" it should allow you to do what you want but I've not found anything in regards to setup.

try messing around with it once installed.