Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10 released!

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Addis, Oct 26, 2006.

?

Will you be upgrading to Edgy Eft?

1. Yes, I live on the bleeding edge

36.4%
  2. No, I prefer long term support and stability

18.2%
  3. Ubuntu? Nah I'll stay with Debian thank you!

45.5%
  1. Addis

Addis The King

The newest release of Ubuntu has been launched. I've not tried it yet, but you can download it here.

Anyone think its ok for me to do an upgrade to it? I've only just managed to get my wireless working in Ubuntu on my notebook (using ndiswrapper).

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

:swear: I was hoping to announce this! :) I've added a poll to your thread, Addis

Kubuntu 6.10 release notes here
    Ubuntu 6.10 release notes here

Xubuntu 6.10 is expected to be released later on today

I doubt I will upgrade to 6.10, at least for awhile. I've got both my Ubuntu and Kubuntu machines working perfectly and don't want to risk losing it all through an upgrade.

I think what I'll do is install Kubuntu Dapper in VMware and simulate an upgrade. If all goes well then I'll upgrade for real

3. Addis

Addis The King

Vengence for posting about Firefox 2 before me :p.
    Same with me, I've only just got Kubuntu working nicely on my laptop, and had some issues to deal with on Dapper. I'll wait a while before upgrading.

4. megamaced

Linux.com has published an Edgy Eft review. The first of many I'd expect.

5. Milanche

Milanche Geek

I'll upgrade instantly!!!

6. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

I've got it downloaded and ready to install on my laptop. I'm hoping it'll all go smoothly, especially after the problems Addis has faced with his wireless network. A simple install of the MadWiFi drivers for my Atheros chipset and all should be well :)

7. megamaced

Probably a good idea NOT to install Edgy Eft tonight considering the Ubuntu servers are crawling :D

I've just installed a fresh copy of Dapper in VMware and I am trying to update it. I am only getting transfer rates of 25KB/s :D The US archives are just about working but the UK repositories are dead!

8. Addis

Addis The King

I would really recommend NetworkManager. It was a really great help in setting up my network, especially if you use WPA security, it configures wpa_supplicant for you in a nice GUI.

My main problem was getting my damn wireless card activated, because Acer decided that the only way to activate the card would be to have it software controlled.

9. megamaced

Xubuntu 6.10 is still waiting to be announced. Strange. I wonder what the delay is?

10. Milanche

Milanche Geek

It is announced now!!!

11. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Thanks for the heads up :cool: I'll give that a try for sure. And yes, i do use WPA security.

12. megamaced

Well I decided to give Edgy a go. I have read about a lot of people having problems upgrading to Edgy so I decided to upgrade my laptop first (it's less important then my desktop installs). Anyway I successfully upgraded Xubuntu using Aptitude. I decided to use aptitude over apt-get because it handles dependencies better. I followed this tutorial when I upgraded

One thing not mentioned in that guide is that it's probably a good idea to quit GNOME/KDE/XFCE and go into a console before you perform the upgrade. This can be achieved by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1

Also note that there will be a lot of unresolved dependencies and upstart will not be installed at the first dist-upgrade. To resolve this, you MUST run dist-upgrade twice before you reboot

Xubuntu 6.10 rocks! It boots about 10 seconds faster due to upstart. Hell, my aging P2 laptop almost boots as fast as my 2.8GHz desktop using Dapper :D Upstart is THAT good!

13. Addis

Addis The King

I've also installed Edgy on my laptop (Ubuntu). It seems pretty since and slick, I would have used Debian but network-manager was a bit broke in Debian repos and I needed it to work quickly.

One annoying thing is that I no longer get messages about what is currently happening in the boot up process.

14. megamaced

Yeah, I miss that too. I like to know what is loading and whether it initiated OK.

15. Milanche

Milanche Geek

One question: Is wireless (with ndiswrapper) still loading soooooooo slowly???

16. Addis

Addis The King

It's always loaded fine with me.

17. donkey42

donkey42 plank

DLing now

18. megamaced

Bare in mind that there is a 70% chance that things might go wrong. Just remember to use aptitude instead of apt-get. And issue dist-upgrade twice.

Honestly, the only reason I upgraded my laptop was because I wanted the trash feature in Xubuntu :) . Other then Upstart, I have no real incentive to upgrade my desktops

19. megamaced

Okay, so I couldn't resist anymore :D I've just upgraded my main box to Edgy. No problems so far. However, I MUCH prefer the default fonts in Dapper

20. megamaced

Now I really have a reason to be happy about. :) Firstly, XGL (or AIGLX which is what I am using in Edgy), requires no setup apart from a few small changes to the xorg.conf file. Beryl is even easier to set up. WOW, it took me less than 2 minutes to get a 3D desktop on Kubuntu Edgy.

But what's best of all is that AIGLX brings 3D desktop support to my aging and crap Intel 845 chipset! WOOt! *Does a Steve Ballmer dance around the room, screaming*

[MSRANT] Hah! I'd like to see aero running on an Intel Extreme Graphics chipset [/MSRANT]

BTW, I followed this tutorial