Ubuntu won't install.

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by DavidNW, Jan 27, 2008.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

After trying a few Linux distros over the past year, I decided to go back to my old favourite, Ubuntu, with a view to installing the KDE desktop, thus effectively making it 'Kubuntu'. I dug out my old Ubuntu (ver 6.10, I think) setup CD and the install began. However, I was soon confronted with an error message which read: "Cannot configure Xorg X server", or words to that effect.

Any ideas on this one folks.

Thanks, David.

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

I would try installing Kubuntu 7.10

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i would go along with Impys recommendation about using Gutsy, however, did you receive any error messages ?

BTW: i'm currently DL a new Gutsy LiveCD

Edit: personally i will only use a Kubuntu distro that has LTS (Long Term Support) like Dapper or Gutsy in the future although i'm currently using Feisty, but i'll soon be upgrading to Gutsy[ot]LTS gives 3 years support for the desktop version & 5 years for the server version[/ot]

4. Impotence

The LTS versions are good for a business or someone who doesn't need/want 'the latest a greatest', i prefer upgrading every 6 months (I'm so far I've been impressed with every new release)

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, but, you know so much more about *nix than me [jealous]BTW: i'm always learning[/jealous]

6. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Tried installing kubuntu 7.10. The install starts, but this time, the monitor just goes blank and stays that way. As a test, I tried an install of both Mandriva 2006, then 2007. I had no problem with them and they loaded fine!

Could this be a VGA problem?

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

unlikely, it's more likely to be either crap media or a bad download, try installing it to a different system and try reburning itto decent media (personally i always use TDK RW discs)

BTW: you could also verify the integrity of the downloaded .ISO file by using the MD5 (downloaded from where you got the ISO from
    Source

8. Impotence

Yeah, i would use the inbuilt test for checking that the disk has burned ok like donkey suggested.

let us know how that goes.

Also, if you select the install option and press F6 and then remove "-quiet -spalsh" from the end of the line then you will be able to tell how far you get (you will be able to see the kernel messages)

9. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Thanks a lot, guys. Well, I finally installed kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) in 'safe graphics mode'. I hope this will be okay?

10. Impotence

Yeah, thats what its there for.

What graphics card do you have? (nvidia? AMD/ATI?)

11. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

ATI Radeon 9250 128MB DDR