Unix, binding an IP

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by athomas, May 10, 2009.

1. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

Well for some reason my newly loaded linux install won't get an IP from dhcp, no idea why. Anyway, I'm editing the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo file to look like this:

DEVICE=lo
    IPADDR=192.168.1.85
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=192.168.1.0
    BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
    ONBOOT=yes

Yet when I do an ifconfig, it only has the loopback IP bound. What am I doing wrong?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

"lo" is loopback! Changing the loopback address will really mess things up for you. First, what distro are you running? Second, is your network adapter even supported/detected by the OS? Try running
    Code:
    lspci
    ...and posting the results here. The ethernet card should be listed. Finally, you'll want to reset your ifcfg-lo back to its defaults. It should look something like the following:
    Code:
    DEVICE=lo
    IPADDR=127.0.0.1
    NETMASK=255.0.0.0
    NETWORK=127.0.0.0
    BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
    ONBOOT=yes
    NAME=loopback

3. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

Oh boy I feel stupid now haha. I'll change the lo cfg file back to normal, and I dropped in an ethernet card that I HOPE RH will see. I'll post in a few with results.

4. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

K fixed it, nevermind. Noticed though that I have no sshd, which brings me to another point... I have no yum repository access. Yum is an unknown command. I need apps such as sshd, vsftpd, etc. How can I get them? I'm on RH 6.2.

5. Anti-Trend

OK, a few things. First, you are running an ancient version of Red Hat which has not been supported for years (no wonder the NIC wasn't detected; it probably didn't exist when that build came out!). You probably want to run something more recent, e.g. CentOS 5.3 (CentOS is the community build of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, but without the branding/licensing). Second, yum wasn't included in RH until much, much later than RH6, so you won't have that command there.

Oh, and one more thing, if you wouldn't mind. Whichever distro you end up running, please go through the following brief security articles before you let that beast loose on the internet:
    anti-trend.homelinux.org - Security Articles
    ... That should get you to a point of practical security and maintainability.

6. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

Well it's not that outdated... and since the DVD functionality of this box is kind of flaky, I'd rather stick to something on cd. I've had problems with other distros on this box, I get errors like "please use a distro made for your cpu" or it'll just spin up the disc and reboot the pc. RH 6.2 installed fine.

So given that, how can I get at least ssh going on here? The wget command won't work.

7. Anti-Trend

You don't have wget, or a lot of other tools you're probably used to. The distro is ancient! RH6 uses 'up2date' if I recall correctly. But please, please, PLEASE don't let that thing on the internet with RH6 on it. It hasn't been patched in years!

My webserver is a paltry P3 with IDE drives, yet I run CentOS 5.3 (i386) without any trouble. Surely you could do the same on yours? I used the small "server install" CD, which is only a few megs.