USB drive will not mount

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by sabashuali, Aug 4, 2008.

1. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

That's it! I am giving up!!! :x:

I would like, pretty please to use my 2GB USB drive but I can not get my head around what is happening....
    When I stick the drive in, a message comes up telling me that a new removable medium is present! Hurrah!! But when I click on open in a new window it gives me the attached error message.
    Here is the output of "dmesg | tail":
    I have googled but all I can find are instructions to manually mount USB drives. That is fine and work a treat but I would prefer for the process to be automatic.

Any ideas???

Attached Files:

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Hmm, maybe need a little more info... how about the /etc/fstab, the distro/build, kernel version, and output of /etc/debug (if you're using a Debian derivative)?

3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

:doh:
    I am using Debian which started off as Etch (I am using the 2.6.18-6-686 kernel) but everything else is more or less Lenny. I tried using the 2.6.25 Kernel but kept getting terrible locks and freezes :(

Note: as you know, Debian does not set-up a USB group so I created one (GID=500 purely experimental :p) and I am a member of it.
    Also the line - none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=500,devmode=664 0 0 was inserted as a recommendation by the VirtualBox manual in cases of permission access to the USB filesystem. It is coupled with domount usbfs usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb -onoexec,nosuid,nodev,devgid=500,devmode=664 in /etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh

Sorry about the rant... it was a very long day with a frustrating end to it.... :mad:

4. Anti-Trend

Well, that kernel version does posses a bug present in all pre-2.6.21 kernels which affects FAT-formatted USB media under some circumstances. :( So, you could try the stock Lenny kernel, or try your hand at building your own from vanilla.

5. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Are you refering to the 2.6.25 kernel? As I am not using it, due to the locks.

6. Anti-Trend

Essentially you just need to run a kernel newer than 2.6.21.

7. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Thanks.... five minutes later I tried using the 2.6.25 and the drive mounted beautifully.... so I get it now. I am trying at the moment to compile a new 2.6.26.... if this does not work, I will see if Sid has anything to offer....

8. Anti-Trend

As we discussed earlier, your lockup problems may have something to do with MMIO being turned off by default on the network driver you're using. If you compile the latest vanilla 2.6.25.x and build your driver the way I was, you may have some success with that kernel. In any case I would approach Sid with caution right now, since it's in a rough spot ... especially if you're a KDE fan. Not so big of an issue if you're into Gnome though. Otherwise, Lenny's a better bet.

9. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

As before, I am not sure where and how you would set this option.
    Is it in the config file prior to the kernel compilation or is it when setting up/building/installing the driver?

When I do xmenuconfig I cannot find an option to set MMIO on or off for the network interface(s). I have options for PIO or DMA....
    Searching for b43 or bcm43xx does not yield any clues....

10. Anti-Trend

It may be DMA I was thinking of for the bcm43xx. PIO is undesirable for any IO device except as a last resort.