Usb Flash Drive Partitioning

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Aceofspades12491, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Aceofspades12491

Aceofspades12491 Geek Trainee

Im attempting to have two partitions on a USB Flash Drive

one will be a small 4 meg partition with an encryption utility, and the other 484 meg partition will be the encrypted area. However, I am unable to partition it as two separate partitions. Any ideas?

BTW my ideal security setup for this, which is what im going for, is to have the small 4 meg appear when you insert the USB Drive. Then you input your password, and the 484 is mounted and unencrypted.

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but it is not possible to create partitions on removable flash drives.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well just plug in you USB pen and it appears as another HDD, and you can create partitions on a USB pen.

4. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Nope! it appears as a Removable Disk.....I m also agree with Mega...

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

but its visible in gparted
    [​IMG]
    and if i'm not miskaken, i created those partitions with gparted[ot]and i'm not mistaken, cos i just created them[/ot]

6. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Not entirely wrong. Partitions are virtual and are created 'on the fly' when using encryption software.
    The best way i know of (and most secure) is a little piece of free software called
    TrueCrypt. It will do exactly what you need.

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

so, nobody is right and nobody is wrong, but the difference is between "virtual" and "physical" which is always "a not very clear line"

so gparted thought it was creating a "physical" partition, but in reality gparted created a "virtual" partition

is that right ?

8. Aceofspades12491

ok i see what your saying

I was attempting to emulate what i had on a 64 meg flashdrive of mine, but on a larger scale. What it had was about a 4 meg "partition" that showed up as a floppy drive, with software that would require a password before letting the entire volume be accessible.

Any clue if this is possible?

I tried this with truecrypt, but every time i used it it wouldnt let me make an encrypted partition and a small non encrypted partition.

9. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

I think you need to use the Traveler's Disk Setup in the tools menu.
    I can honestly say, TrueCrypt is the best thing for what you need.
    If you can't figure it out, we'll try something else.

10. Aceofspades12491

every time I attempt to use truecrypt, it won't let me specify a size for the encrypted partition.

11. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

My USB Memory stick does have this type of utility, you plug it in, then the windows comes up, you gotta click on it, this utility is called UStorage, you click on it, and it has an option to create partitions, and logg in.

I have provided some screenshots, dont know if you can get an app like this on the net, but anyway, i re partitioned the usb memory stick, now i have one partition to logg in, and another one which is a public partition. So with this app, you cant create multiple security partition, you can only create one secuirty partition and a public, but either way it does what you want, it enables your memory stick to be locked untill you logg in :).

I dont know if you have your own program, but i uploaded the program with the screenies, so i think if you place that on your memory stick, and click it, you will be able to create the security partition :) The only problem with this software is, even if your logged out, say if someone gets hold of your memory stick, they can still re partition the thing, but they cant get hold of your data. This app can create boot disk too, dunno what thats use for, bootable linux? even so, my memory stick aint big enough for it, its a shame my old one broke :(

**edit*** couldent upload the .rar, but if you want it, i can email it to you.

Attached Files: