USB port not working

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by prr, May 19, 2009.

1. prr

prr Geek Trainee

I have one port that is not working. It will not let me get online (when putting the usb cable into anther port gets me online just fine), or communicate with my printer (again, I can print with other usb ports). I googled and found an MS kb article that told me to go into the device manager and uninstall every single USB controller instance in the device manager. I did that, rebooted, and all other ports are still working, but this one. I also have gotten an error message saying something like "This usb device isn't working as fast as it can,it can be USB 2.0" or something like that. ALl these usb ports are 2.0--the computer is only 2 years old.

Running Vista, Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop

Any suggestions?

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi it's a usb port connected to your case? if so that's connected to a usb header on the motherboard. I would check the wiring to make sure it's correct, check your motherboard manual and it wil show you how to wire up the headers. it's two usb ports to one header. if it's wired up correctly then one of your ports has gone faulty. it's nothing to do with your USB controller as the other ports work fine.

3. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Its a laptop - it's a classic case for a damaged port - i have one that got a usb stick knocked while inserted that bent the pins inside, does it work when you force it up or down? Does the port look different or damaged compared to others?

4. prr

prr Geek Trainee

I took a look with a flashlight. It looks exactly like the usb port immediately next to it. I have tried jimmying the cable up and down a bit but it makes no difference--there is no sound that my laptop makes, like it normally does when I plug in a usb cable; and still, cable modem plugged in--no internet; printer cable plugged in--no print jobs, although both work on other usb ports.

FWIW, I ran a dell diagnostics last night, although I couldn't see any part that looked like it tested the usb ports-- but it found no hardware problems.

5. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Well my 2 cents is that it is not a software/driver issue as they would all be playing up. I still think it is an actual broken (physically) port.

Do you have a multimeter?

6. prr

prr Geek Trainee

No I don't. I don't even know what one is.

7. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

We use them to measure voltages & resistances - you could have checked if there is any voltage (+5v) coming from the USB port.

8. Magna

Magna Geek Trainee

Have you tried reinstalling drivers for it? This fixed my problem. Though from the sounds of it, it sounds like a broken port.

Good luck :D

9. prr

prr Geek Trainee

Yes I did that twice, with no luck. Yeah I'm beginning to think it is hardware myself. I did some searching for diagnostic software I could run but I didn't find anything that said it would examine precisely this.

10. prr

prr Geek Trainee

While we're at it here, I'm wondering--this laptop is only 2 years old. Is this the sign of a cheap product? This is a Dell Inspiron 1501--it was about as cheap a product as Dell was making at that time. If I shelled out another hundred bucks or so (and bought another brand), is it likely that all my usb ports would still be working?

11. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

I wouldn't say so really, maybe if the actual controller had died but then they all would have stopped at the same time.

Just unlucky I guess

12. prr

prr Geek Trainee

OK well at least that's some consolation.:)