USR 9003 ADSL Modem/ Router Help Needed

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by skribla, Apr 30, 2006.

1. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

Hey guys,

A company called Freedom 2 Surf are my ISP. On Thursday of last week they were doing some upgrades to their network and my modem/router stopped working. They told me that I needed to download a firmware update for the router. I did so and installed it.

Then I had to reconfigure the router putting in the IP addresses and the Username and Password etc for it to connect to the network. After some playing around with it I got it working.

But last night my Modem router got turned off and then when it was turned back on again this morning it wouldn't connect to the net again. I tried logging back into the modem/ router via IE to check that the settings I input yesterday had been saved correctly. The only problem is, it wouldn't connect to that either, and wouldn't let me log in.

My dad said that when he was trying to fix it he pressed the reset button in on the router (not knowing what he was doing and hoping that would sort it)

As a result I know that the router has been restored to it's factory settings. I have put in the installation CD and tried to install it to my computer via ethernet but it goes to a stage on the installation where it says "connecting hardware to the computer" or something like that and then comes up with some sort of error. Basically I cannot install the modem/ router again.

When I first got this modem/ router from F2S a few years ago it was already pre-configured like this so I didnt need to set anything up but now I am trying to install it again because part of the installation then lets you set up the router to your ISP settings but it isn't working because of the error mentioned above.

As a result I now cannot get into the modem/ router to put in the settings.... The setup fails, and the ADSL does not connect because there is nothing for it to connect to - to then enable me to try and log into the router and input the settings (I also assume I will have to somehow re-install the firmware upgrade too as it has been restored to the factory settings.)

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can rectify this problem.

Many Thanks,

Skribla

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Hold down the reset button for 5-10 seconds, after a brown-out (low mains power) i was unabled to use log in etc to my router and this worked for me! But you do lose ALL settings, just pushing reset only re-starts the device! (holding it does a COMPLETE reset, all that will be left is the firmware)

3. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

hi, thanks, I have tried that.

Problem is - now the information is reset on the router the router does not know what to connect to via the internet.

Consequently, the ADSL light keeps flashing (because it cannot establish a connection) so how would I get it to connect to the set up (via logging in through IE)

cheers

4. Impotence

Are you able to log into the routers config pages? (via IE)

You will need to obtain the connection settings for your ISP, they should be on there site!

[ot]
    PS i would highly reccomend that you DO NOT use internet explorer, as it has known (and still un-patched) exploits (which can be used to take over your computer!)... Try firefox :D www.getfirefox.com, and since megamaced is about to post reccomending that you use Opera, here's a link for opera! http://www.opera.com/ (to save him the trouble :p)

Both are very nice browsers, which are safe and secure! (my fav is firefox :D) and they both have more features than IE! (i currently have a unfinished post on extensions (add-ons) for firefox HERE).
    [/ot]

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

you need to tell the router your username and password (at least) dig out the user manual for your router and find out the default IP address for your router and create a shortcut on your desktop:
    Target: http:// then your routers default IP address
    click next
    Name: <something descriptive>

then dbl click that icon and enter your router default usenam and password (in your routers manual)

something else, emulation VPI or VCI, possibly service name, MTU
    and PPPoE or PPPoA (usually)

6. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Since 99.9% of routers use DHCP for their default settings, make sure you have your network connection set to DHCP. From there, open Command Prompt and ping the IP address of the router. This IP should be 192.168.2.1 for a Belkin router and 192.168.0.1 for most other routers.

7. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

donkey.... I am not sure how I would create a shortcut for this on my desktop? How do I go about doing this?

Also, I have looked in my manual, the only IP address I can find is where the manual reads "Type: ping 127.0.1 after the DOS command prompt. This is your local host address."

Is this the type of IP address that you mean for the router to connect to manually?

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Skribla

8. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

I know my router's set up menu can be done through IE address: 192.168.1.1 (as I have done this before) But as the router has been reset it is not connecting to the internet at all - The ADSL line keeps flashing but never goes to a still one.

Therefore there is no way I can get the DHCP enabled until I rectify this problem and log back into the routers menu to enable it.

Cheers for the advice guys. I am much appreciating it!

9. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

any further suggestions/ Ideas people - particuarly to donkey's post

10. Impotence

If you still have the letter you got from your ISP when you signed up, it will have the username and password on it (and possibly the config info you need).

If all else fails, call tec support (they should be able to get ur account details from ur telephone number)

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

firstly you need to re-enter your username and password for your ISP (and other settings) via the web configerator,

ok, right click on a blank part of your desktop then select "New" move mouse to "Shortcut" and select, enter into the "Command Line" box:
    http://192.168.1.1

then click next
    then type a name for the shortcut "Router Config"
    then click finish
    then dbl click the icon you created and enter the username and password that is in your routers manual (probably "admin" & "1234)
    and the other settings provided by your ISP

the following setting are provided by your ISP, just phone their helpline and they will tell you what your setting need to be

possibalby:
    encapsulation (VPI, VCI)
    service name
    MTU
    authentication (CHAP, PA or NO authentication

12. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

thanks very much, thats great. I have all of the setup info for the internet for my modem (all of the things that you mentioned above)

The only problem that I am encountering is when I turn on my modem the ADSL light keeps flashing (negoiating a connection) but never actually stays still and therefore does not appear to be connecting to anything.

As a result, when i double click the icon on my desktop it won't connect to the modem's config page (I think this may be because there is no information for the modem to actually connect to)???

What do you think?

13. donkey42

donkey42 plank

try ringing your ISP helpline (as your broadband may not be working) also try using a different micro filter (cheap enough from a computer shop)

14. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

cheers, so if I reset my modem is it still meant to connect to the ISP address... I was thinking that because it deletes everything the modem doesn't know what IP address to connect to.

Only thing, I still don't understand why I cannot configure the internet for my ISP settings.

Bloody annoying!

Should I try reseting my internet modem again? I leave the button pressed for more than 10seconds (and have done for 30seconds) when the modem is on and the modem doesn't seem to reset so I am not sure if it is re-setting properly. Or am I meant to push it down when the modem is turned off?

It's annoying because the manual doesn't tell me how to reset the modem.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

15. donkey42

donkey42 plank

where do you live (country)

16. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

UK, London.....

I have just been trying the modem again and it still isn't working!!

ADSL light still flashing and not connecting to anything

17. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

I live in the UK, London.

I have just tried replacing the microfilter with a different one and the other things you suggested.

Still the same problem (the internet ADSL light just flashing) and always negoiating a connection but never actually connecting to anything.

There seems to be no way that I can get to the Easy configurator to input the ISP settings. I have even got the installation CD out to try and do it like that but there is no way that I can get into it.

Thanks

18. donkey42

donkey42 plank

is this your router, because if it is you will need an RS232 cable (56k modem cable) to access the config pages download quick user guide and read the online user guide

19. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

ahh yes I see that. Thanks.

Any idea how I will connect to the Terminal User Interface (TUI) once I have done this?

Also, what connection in the PC does that lead have to go into?

The leads look quite expensive too (from a quick google search they are showing at about $60, even if they are wrong I dont really want to pay more than about £5 for something I will only use once) is there anywhere I would be able to get one really cheap as I'm probably only going to be using this once.

If you could ans all that would be great. (the Q's RE: connecting via the TUI - there is no info of how to do this in the user guide.) cheers

20. donkey42

donkey42 plank

let me check the manual again, not sure if i'm right or not