Very Basic Media Center

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by chad101, Mar 2, 2009.

1. chad101

chad101 Geek Trainee

Ok I'm looking to make the lamest media center ever. If fact, one could argue this is not even close to being a media center.

I'm not trying to record TV shows for future play back. Therefore I don't need a tuner card and I don't need DVD functionality. All I want to do is hook my CentOS box to my LCD television and play avi videos or YouTube clips.

Think of it as me hooking my box up to a larger monitor which has built in speakers.

I bought a VGA cable and the picture works perfectly. Now I need a way to get audio to the TV. My TV has the usual female connections (RCA, HDMI, etc) including a 1/8" stereo "audio in" plug hole.

What kind of cable do I need for the audio? I'm using a very old Dell OptiPlex GX400 so I'm not looking for an elite media center. Just a bare bones basic setup for playing web clips...nothing more.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

3. chad101

chad101 Geek Trainee

Yes and thank you :), I'm going to order this cable right now. I'll give you an update in about a week.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

For the front-end, you might want to look into XBMC.

Also, just a tip, but CentOS isn't much of a multimedia OS. If you're flexible, Debian + Debian Multimedia Packages would be a good choice.