VERY strange problem with XFX GF 9600GT

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by danieldzc, Jan 17, 2009.

1. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

Hi.
    I have already been writing on other forum about that problem, but nobody can help me there.
    I have recently built a computer, here are spec:

CPU: INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 2.4 GHZ
    Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L
    Memory: KINGSTON HYPERX PC8500 DDR2 1066 2GB (2x1GB)
    GPU: XFX XFX NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI-Express 2.0 - PV-T96G-YHF4
    PSU: T/TAKE W0093 PSU 500W TR2-500W RET
    WiFi: NETGEAR WN311B RangeMax NEXT
    DVD: LG 20x DUAL LAYER DVD RW SATA DRIVE INTERNAL BURNER
    HDD: Some Hitachi 500GB SATA3 (model is not relevant in that case i think)

That is all I have conected+ keyboard, mouse and 3 additional fans to cool down the system.

Now, everything is working OK, I have installed Windows XP Prof SP3, downloaded latest patches, installed latest drivers for everything.

Now it gets to the trouble. I have installed Guild Wars, tried to run them. The game downloaded patches, installed them, i logged in to my accocunt, picked the character, tried to log in to the game. As soon as logging in to the game finished and i supposed tto see my char in a city/town, I could hear graphics card fan starting working on very high speed, my monitor went black and I could see message from monitor "No signal input" (there was no signal from graphics to monitor). Keyboard was not working, I had to reset PC.
    Second try, exactly the same situation.

So I decided to try other game. I have installed Assassins Creed, quite a new game, more system req than GW. I turned it on, started playing, was able to play for like 30miinutes before my screen went black again (I was playing on highest detail and resolution). I have tried Assassins Creed few times, every time I was able to play as much as I want, and I was getting the black screen only when I entered one room in the mission. Then I tried to enter that room from differennt side and it was ok, the game continued. I got black screen later on in different mission and different place again.

So I tried Warhammer Online, the same situation as with Guild Wars, I was able to log in to character select, pick character, but I wasn't able to log in to the game and play.

I have tried Devil May Cry 2 for like 30min, it was ok, i haven't tried it again.

I decided to check the hardware and software. I runned 3dmark05_v130, runned the test. First animation 3d in the program- black screen. Happend every time I have runned it.

I have downloaded speedfan to check temperatures, fan speeds and voltage. But nothing is wrong. GPU temp did not go above 62deg C, never. CPU temp was 35-42deg C. Voltages ok, fan speeds ok.

Now is what I know, checked and tried so far:
    -when I plugged ATI hd3850 instead my GF, Guild Wars were working perfect;
    -my PSU has two +12V rails, one with 15Amps and second with 16Amps, I heard my graphics (GeForce 9600GT) need about 26Amps on +21V rail, but it is not confirmed
    -i havee tried drivers 180.48 as well as 181.20, on both the same problem;
    -all my cables are secured (not loose), the airflow in the case is good;
    -I have tested my PC with some application from Guild Wars, here is some output, which I think might be important:

Code:
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 1/15/2009, 18:50:03
           Machine name: SPEEDFIRE
       Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
               Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
           System Model: EP31-DS3L
                   BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
              Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)
                 Memory: 2046MB RAM
              Page File: 301MB used, 3637MB available
            Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
        DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
      DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
          Display Tab 1: No problems found.
            Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
              Music Tab: No problems found.
              Input Tab: No problems found.
            Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
    DirectX Debug Levels
    --------------------
    Direct3D:    0/4 (n/a)
    DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
    DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
            Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
         Manufacturer: NVIDIA
            Chip type: GeForce 9600 GT
             DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
           Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0622&SUBSYS_23621682&REV_A1
       Display Memory: 512.0 MB
         Current Mode: 1360 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
              Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
      Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
          Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
       Driver Version: 6.14.0011.7116 (English)
          DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
     Driver Date/Size: 1/3/2008 14:26:00, 5885696 bytes
          WHQL Logo'd: n/a
      WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
                  VDD: n/a
             Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
        Mini VDD Date: 1/3/2008 14:26:00, 7077344 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4562-11CF-FE6E-690300C2CB35}
            Vendor ID: 0x10DE
            Device ID: 0x0622
            SubSys ID: 0x23621682
          Revision ID: 0x00A1
          Revision ID: 0x00A1
          Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D ModeWMV9_B ModeWMV9_A 
    Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch 
             Registry: OK
         DDraw Status: Enabled
           D3D Status: Enabled
           AGP Status: Enabled
    DDraw Test Result: Not run
     D3D7 Test Result: Not run
     D3D8 Test Result: Not run
     D3D9 Test Result: Not run

----------------------------------------

I have no idea what is wrong (probably just faulty graphics?).
    Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Daniel.

2. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Well it sounds like you have been pretty exhaustive in your testing indeed.

I'd say to check the PSU before you RMA the card though (i'm assuming its new?) Is it possible for you to try a bit of a beefier PSU?

3. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

I do not have better PSU. I mean I have one with 20Amps on +12V rail, but it is 450W and so no-name, probably crap PSU...

4. XFX Tech

XFX Tech Geek Trainee

Have you been able to test with another power supply or try the card in another system to replicate the problem? Put in a support ticket at http://www.xfxforce.com and PM me the ticket ID.

5. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

Hi, it has been a while, but i was waiting for better psu and looking for some1, where i could test that card.
    I have just tested it on OCZ modXstream pro 600W (2 +12V rails with 25A on each). I can confirm that i still experience the problem with fan on graphics starting to work louder and then my system crash (i can see only black screen).

6. 8bitbob

8bitbob Geek Trainee

Hi,

Is it possible for you to install nvidias system tools , it gives you the temp,fan speed and gpu speed, i was thinking you could run the games in window mode and observe the graphs of the gpu ,while playing.

might give you more of a idea of whats going on with it ,maybe?:)

7. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

Hey guys. I dunno what is going on. I have sent the card to test by the company who sold it to me. They said the card is OK. So i figured that it must be not compatible with the motherboard for some stupid reason. I just have bought XFX 750i SLI nForce motherboard, tested the card, still black screen.
    What the hell is wrong?:confused: I have tested itt on 2 different motherboards, 2 differeent PSU, with different RAM on board... everything is telling me that graphics is faulty and the company is just playing with me...

8. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

I forgot to write, I have downloaded nvidia system tools, nothing strange happens with the system just before it crash, all temps, voltages and fan speeds are ok (except fan on GPU which like I already said starts working lauder).
    I have also downloaded 3DMark06 and runned it 6 times now, 4 times it went all OK but 2 times system crashed at some random points.
    My friend suggested that it might be processor, it is Intel Core2Quad Q6600. What do you think?

9. 8bitbob

8bitbob Geek Trainee

Hi, anychance you got get your hands on another graphics card, that way if it does crash you know its not the graphics card :)

And then you can starting questioning ur CPU.

10. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

That was one of the first things i have checked... I have already written: ATI Radeon HD3850 works perfectly...

11. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

I personally have extremely little faith in on-line retailers RMA processes (recently returned my speaker set 5 times before they got it right, - literally had to take them step by step through a proper test process) You can tell they dont thoroughly test things properly, ask to be supplied with the details of the test processes they used to arrive at the conclusion that is was 'ok'. If they refuse threaten to go straight to the manufacturer complaining that they are being unreasonable - will sometimes get you somewhere.

I would contact the manufacturer for a warranty replacement anyway. (One good reason to always buy BFG or eVGA 10 year warranty - BFG just replaced my old 8800gts 320mb OC2 with a 9600 512 OC2 without batting an eyelid - while I had bought a new GTX295 anyway so sold the 9600 as soon as it was returned) I'm not suggesting people try this for a free upgrade my 8800 really was faulty - they HD video port was playing up.

12. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

IMO it needs to be graphics.
    The facts speaks for themselfs:
    -it has been tested on 2 different motherboards, 2 different PSU's, 3 different RAM configurations, the problem presists on every system I test it on,
    -other graphics cards on that systems work great,
    -warhammer online, guild wars, FEAR2, assassins creed all crash randomly on that graphics while in the same system with only graphics changed they work perfect,
    -temperatures, voltages etc during the crash are ok (GPU around 50degC, CPU - 40-55degC)

I think they did not test it proerly. Why? I runned 3DMark06 8 times- it crashed 2, I runned 3DMark Vantage 9 times now- it crushed 3... They said they runned vantage and some other banchmarks and it was OK, but like you see it is crushing randomly...

I was contacting XFX, I have support ticket opened with them and will ask them for replacement if ADMI refuse to do it. Also will I contact trading standards to give ADMI a lesson how to treat customers.

13. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

I feel you pain mate, nothing so infuriating as a company claiming something is ok when it clearly isnt. I think that in the end its the way that companies treat RMA products that will swing it for them.

An example from my experiences - Play.com - i ordered a projector from them, it failed within a month, as soon as they recieved faulty they shipped a new one the same day! No quibbles = Happy ferg!

Ebuyer- My logitech speaker control pod backlight had failed (again) so thought as i was not gonna have the big screen for a while i'd replace the speakers at the same time - It took 5 returns over 6 weeks and a management referral to get new ones of good quality sent to me.
    1st - sent me another second hand control pod - front right speaker no sound
    2nd - sent yet another second hand part - rear right now constant hissing
    3rd - they denied the problem (i got mad and got to talk to management)
    4th - they found the problem this time and sent a new set
    5th - new set was DOA and returned.

Moral of the story - sometimes the cheapest retailer really isn't the best choice, if you think about it the 'technicians' they have working at these places must be on a crap pay with crap training, if they were really any good they'd be working at a place actually repairing things, not simply in a warehouse with a load of other RMA'd products simply swapping and shipping out hoping that they will eventually find a part that the customer will accept or until they simply give up.

14. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

OK. I can officially say that the problem is sorted and the reason has been found!
    I have just tested my graphics on exactly the same system as mine except different CPU model (Pentium D920 DualCore 2.8GHz) and... the graphics works just fine!
    It was suprise for me that my processor (Pentium Q6600 Quad 2.4GHz) is not compatible with XFX GF 9600GT.
    Now I am going to get new processor, hopefully my GPU aand new CPU will work together:)

Thanks for help everybody, appreciate every little advice you gave me guys!

15. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Hmm that is a very strange issue then, have you found literature that supports that conclusion? Glad you have solved it however!

16. 8bitbob

8bitbob Geek Trainee

HI, couldnt you of got a update for your bios or something? or tweaked around wih it!

I find it strange that you couldn't of solved it without buying a new CPU. :confused:

17. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

I haven't found anything in the net about that issue.
    I haven't got new CPU yet as in only one PC-World in my city there was...1 CPU on the shelf! (yeah- they call themselves 'Computer superstore', or something like that).
    I will check with XFX if there is any way of making that card work with my CPU. I will post back when I get something.

Interesting situation tho, isn't it?

18. 8bitbob

8bitbob Geek Trainee

Don't you buy online? :)

dabs, scan ?

19. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

I haven't had any answer from xfx yet, but I did something what might bring a little bit to the case.
    I overclocked my q6600 from 2.4GHz to 3GHz and... the system is much more stable! In the games which crushed after 5sec before I can play now even for an hour. It still crush sometimes, but not so often. And it still works perfectly with other graphics cards.
    Does it bring anything to mind?

It getting more and more strange for me and I have no idea what might be wrong...

I am thinking about getting XFX 9800GTX+ black but I am afraid it won't work either...

20. 8bitbob

8bitbob Geek Trainee

Hi,

you know the settings in your bios, where some on automatic?

if you make sure all your settings are the right speeds

pci-express is 100mhz

etc... only I've had to change from automatic to manually put in the default speeds of everything to get a stable systems,where as with automatic it was unstable!

Don't know whether that could be the problem?