Water Cooling..

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by ProcalX, Jul 14, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

does water cooling really cool your cpu and pc down? or not?

i was thinking of getting a SLK-900a and a 3000rpm fan, then thought of water cooling.. but apparently the slk-900a still provides much cooler temperatures than most water cooling does..?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You've got alot of factors in both water and air cooling to consider.
    For watercooling, you can buy a kit, but not all kits are created equal. One of the best kits as far as external ones go is the Koolance Exxos. But in the end, it's best to piece the system together by yourself. But, before you actually install it, you need to test it to check for leaks. Water+your computer=NO. Additionally, many waterblocks require the four mounting holes around the socket to install on a Socket A board. If you don't want that, I suggest you look at something like the Swiftech MCW50-A (-A stands for Socket A mounting hardware). Swiftech offers a kit with everything you need to get it working.

For a watercooling setup you need:
    -CPU waterblock. Swiftech and Dangerden have some of the highest regarded waterblocks, but there are some others as well. If you want to watercool your northbridge and/or video card, you can get waterblocks for them too.
    -Radiator. If you don't mind an ugly radiator and a small DIY project, you can snag a radiator and weld some barbs on it. However, in my experience with watercooling, it was a hassle to do this, and I wish I'd just gone ahead and bought one.
    -Tubing. Tygon is regarded as some of the best stuff there is because it doesn't kink and has a high melting point. If it's melted, you can bet the rest of your system is too.
    The bigger the inner diameter, the faster the water circulates.
    -Pump. Eheim are considered to be the de facto standard here. They're pricier, but are very reliable. DannerMag is also another good one as I understand. Hydor was a pain to work with, and ultimately the reason I abandoned my H2O cooling setup. You want a good pump with a good amount of flow...I believe 300 Gal/Hr is what you want if you want effective cooling.
    -Fans. You need something to get rid of the heat that the radiator disperses. Larger fans are better. As usual.
    -Misc items. Fittings and silicone grease. And water addetives to keep stuff like algae from growing.
    -Resivoir. This isn't required, but allows for some extra water to be available, and can keep the water temp lower since the heat is dispersed around.

If you want a good setup, budget between $150-200 USD. If you have a good H2O setup, you can have better temps than air with a good setup. Additionally, you can have close to slient computing, depending on your fan choices.

Air. You only need the heatsink and the fan. Top end heatsinks run $45-70.
    The advantage here is price. Noise can be a problem, depending on the fan.

There's a few guys here that actually have watercooling in use and might be able to add some actual experience I don't have.

3. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

I say go with water cooling. Yes it costs much more but its definetly worth it. When you order you really regret it but when the package arrives on your door step, its a dream come true.

I spent just under 300 bucks for my EXOS, CPU block and GPU block and thats still less than the amount of money Ive spent on fans, heat sinks, etc.

In the end, the water cooling is definitely worth it.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

but doesn't water cooling require maintenance? I've read good things about the Zalman Reserator 1 Fanless Water Cooling System! but I think the main feature of the Zalman is that its totaly quite, so it might not meet your needs, if you want to overclock quite a bit!

5. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

Yes, it does. Koolance systems need to be flushed ever year, sooner doesnt hurt tho. The Zalman Reserator is meant for completely silent operation. Its temps are on par with air cooling sometimes worse

6. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

maintenance is one of the reasons I choose not to try water cooling, however if maintenance is only required only a few times a year, I wouldnt mind too much!

The Zalman would be good if you lare looking to silence your machine, but wouldnt be any good if you want to overclock as many articles have concluded!

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

8. TheRevolutionX

TheRevolutionX Geek Trainee

i have a EXOS are alright, i have had mine for 4 years running now. cpu only and only a meh OC 222 FSB AMD 64 3500+ but my voltages are all bumped up and such :) avg room temp is 25c avg heavy load is 45c