Weird SSD Problem, is it dead?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by dejapu, Oct 15, 2012.

1. dejapu

dejapu Geek Trainee

For about a week now, when i shut down OR sleep, i can only recover from it a little less than half the time, without restarting. It's a Crucial M4 SSD.

1 Every other time i boot from off, everything starts spinning but no graphics whatsoever appear on LCD , on restart from this fail, BIOS loads fine, and i never have to restart more than once in a row like this.

2 When i wake from sleep, every other time it's fine, and the other half, my cursor and everything else is frozen Ctrl-Alt-Dlt does nothing.

3 Every time windows loads successfully i get a screen-goes-to-black, then comes back, "Nvidia windows kernel mode driver version 301.xx failed to load and has recovered" message. And then it operates normally until i next shutdown/sleep.

Had SSD for 3-4 weeks before i had this problem. This problem lasted for 4 weeks as described. As of this morning, instead of the usual failure message-then-normal-operating (never would crash randomly), it freezes in place (prior to any error messages) upon EVERY startup (so ive switche dback to reg HD now).

No other problem/playing games/over-under-notatall-clocking makes no difference. When i use my previous HD (before i switched it out for the SSD) everything is fine (so it's not my video card or other components failing)

The only things i can think of that I changed recently was going from the default 301.42 nvidea drivers to the 306.02 beta drivers to the 306.23 (but I've installed, and uninstalled, and reinstalled each of these to no fixing avail).

I have updated the SSD's firmware to the latest from the Crucial website with no problem, it didn't fix anything.

Also around the time the problem started i got suckered into installing the 'Codec-V plug-in' through Chrome on a streaming website. Could this have broken things? I quickly removed it as soon as i realized it was illigitmate and I removed every trace i could find (as im good at this) But malware wouldn't affect every-other-BIOS-boot would it? Could it?

Win7 64-bit, 4 gigs RAM, no hibernation file/enabled on the SSD, EVGA 550 GTI , very safely/moderately overclocked, disabling overclockin doesnt help.
    Such a weird problem, what do you think it is? what ought I do?[​IMG]

update: now that i plugged it back in, in any configuration with one or neither of my two sata drives (one being the previous system drive, and the other being the auxilliary drive) the computer will boot to BIOS screen and freeze there (this was never a freezing point before) and sometimes does the black screen thing, (as if im not going to be able to fix the SSD, is it dead?)