What are the benefits of partioning hard disks?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Waffle, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Is it that if you partion it so that all your crucial data is on say, C:, and all games/music/etc are on F:, and you get a virus, you can safely wipe the hard disk but still retain system files etc?

And if there are any major benefits, how would I go about paritioning my hard disk?

Thanks dudes :)

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

1) If you have a problem with one of the partitions, you can wipe it out and the other partitions are fine instead of having to wipe out the entire disk

2) You can organize your files better

3) You can have more than one OS

4) You can have more than one type of partition (NTFS, FAT32, ...)

What I do is I put Windows on C:, Apps on D:, Games on E:, MP3s on F:, G: is a Temp partition on which I put my downloads, files I uncompress, etc.

That way, when I reinstall Windows, I only wipe the C: and resintall but I keep all my progress in my games, all my critical files. You can then put those in one partition, do whatever it is you want with the others, and take back your files from that partition, instead of having to burn them all to cds all the time.

There's really no disadvantage in using partitions.

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Oh right, i didn't think there would be that much advantage.

Thanks!

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah. My main box runs partitions because of how much stuff I have on it. What I'd do, if you're going to do it, is just wait until you install Windows again. Delete the partition during setup, and make a new one less than the capacity of the drive (say 20000MB), and install XP on it. After the install, go ahead and create new ones under Disk Management in the admin panel.

5. Euro98ITR

Euro98ITR Big Geek

Is it possible to create another partition after the drive has been partitioned?

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It is possible with Partition Magic, and probably some other software, but I've never used it, as I don't trust those software, for some reason.

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

You can do with Partition Magic, you would have to resize another partition to create a new one I think.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Sure. If you haven't allocated all of it, you don't need Partition Magic or other third-party software since Windows XP Disk Management has a way to add/remove partitions too.